Why become a member? ×

Want to move up to Higher gauge strings

arabassist

Hello all,

I haven't been playing the bass in a long while, I started to play again and I've realised how light my strings feel. They're coated Warwick EMP strings, not sure on the gauge but I think they are 40-100, but nonetheless they feel light to me and the sound of the D and G strings just feel a bit empty compared to E and A. When i pick up a stock Squier jazz the strings feel a bit thicker and the sound is more full. I'm thinking of moving up to thicker strings for a bit more fat sound, but I'm not sure by how much. Would 45-105 make a big difference or should I go for 50-110. I've been using the same strings for a long time so I don't have a point of reference to compare to easily.

Anybody got any clue or had experiences with changing gauges much? Or is it one of those things people overlook?

Thanks.

45-105 should be fine. I found 50-110's a bit too heavy if theres any widdly involved!
these are a good bet just to try em out as they're only £7.95 a set!
[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/597-legacy_4_string_nickel_bass_strings_40_100_45_105"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/597-legacy_4_string_nickel_bass_strings_40_100_45_105[/url]_
i use em for gigging and in my shoddy rock band they're fine....

I use heavy gauge 50 - 110s, and whenever I buy a bass, it is invariably strung with regular gauge, 45 - 105. I really notice the difference in the amount of bottom end that just isn`t there with the regular gauge.

Some might say that it`s all in the mind, but when I took one of my Precisions to band practice, with regulars on, my bandmates all enquired why I`d changed my settings, and could I change them back, as the big bottom end wasn`t there with the new settings.

Give it a go. If you don`t like them, sell them on here. I`ve done this a few times, just make it clear how long they were on the bass for, and price them fairly. You`ll lose a few quid, but not the whole lot.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1322693715' post='1454731']
I use heavy gauge 50 - 110s, and whenever I buy a bass, it is invariably strung with regular gauge, 45 - 105. I really notice the difference in the amount of bottom end that just isn`t there with the regular gauge.

Some might say that it`s all in the mind, but when I took one of my Precisions to band practice, with regulars on, my bandmates all enquired why I`d changed my settings, and could I change them back, as the big bottom end wasn`t there with the new settings.

Give it a go. If you don`t like them, sell them on here. I`ve done this a few times, just make it clear how long they were on the bass for, and price them fairly. You`ll lose a few quid, but not the whole lot.
[/quote]

+1 I went to the 50's it was good :) the 55's ain't bad either

Thanks guys for the info. Paul_C do you tune it down for personal preference or do is it hard to do EADG on thick strings?

Skidder, those are really cheap so I might get them, even though I was intending on getting coated strings again - my fingers really destroy strings, even 'durable' ones like ernie ball

55 ???? :) bejeebus ive gone all dizzy at the thought

i use 45s on a 34 and 35 scale length and both sound fine in the bottom end although i do agree the G can sound a bit puny but in mycase that may be cos i should spend a bit more time and adjust the pickup a tadge at that end

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322818813' post='1456107']
How significant is the extra tension on the neck? I'm frightened of truss rods...what could go wrong?

I like the idea of 50-110; I hate the sound of a weedy G string. If I'm allowed to say that here.
[/quote]

No I don't blame you - my G string sounds like a nylon thread being plucked on an acoustic guitar

eurghhh

*shudders*

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322818813' post='1456107']
How significant is the extra tension on the neck? I'm frightened of truss rods...what could go wrong?

I like the idea of 50-110; I hate the sound of a weedy G string. If I'm allowed to say that here.
[/quote]

I suppose it depends on the brand you use, but a quarter turn of the truss rod is all that I`ve needed to do, when I`ve got a new bass and put 50s on it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1322821081' post='1456152']
I suppose it depends on the brand you use, but a quarter turn of the truss rod is all that I`ve needed to do, when I`ve got a new bass and put 50s on it.
[/quote]

Exciting times!

I'm making a Bitsa as we speak, getting a nice MIJ Precision neck from Beedster tomorrow. I want this to be my dirty/rough/rocky/clanging/thunderous instrument, to complement my smooooth P with flats. Favourite rounds so far are GHS Boomers, medium gauge, so I reckon I'll try their 50-70-95-115.

Will I be happy forever if I do this?