Why become a member? ×

PA Systems

vicar

Any of you guys also responsible for the PA system in your band? I always have been in the past and now, also, this time around. I have been looking on-line but dont seem to be able to track down a dedicated PA forum like I can a bass/guitar site.

I am particularly interested in Peavey equipment so maybe there is a Peavey forum?

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.....

Many thanks

Kirk

Hi, many thanks for your quick reply. I have the opportunity to buy a Peavey PA head XR684F. All the complete systems I have seen for sale pair this with a pair of Peavey PV-115 speakers which is handy as I have just bought a pair of these speakers, as new, for a song! My issue is, that everywhere I read up on this amp, the PA head is 400 watt (2x 200 watt) into 4 Ohm. But..... The PV-115 speakers are 8 Ohm.??? Why are the accepted matching speakers a different Ohm rating to the amp? Does this mean I wont get the 2x400 watts as the speakers are 8 and not 4 Ohm?

Ok, that PA head will handle 4 ohms on each channel. Ohms work a bit different to watts, etc... lower is higher, if that makes sense...so your 8 ohm cabs are fine, one in each channel. If you had another 2 x 8 ohm cabinets, you could run two 8 ohm cabinets, in parallel, per output, giving you the minimum - 4 ohm load.

So 2 x 8ohm cabinets in parallel = 4 ohms.

Does that make sense?

Nothing wrong with Peavy stuff, dude.. It does take a little time to get it setup and to pull the best out of it but bang for buck and indestructability, you'll struggle to find better..

They've been making the XR series of powered mixers for the best part of thirty years so I expect the newer stereo ones are with built in FX are pretty comprehensive.

[quote name='ben604' timestamp='1322694450' post='1454745']
Ok, that PA head will handle 4 ohms on each channel. Ohms work a bit different to watts, etc... lower is higher, if that makes sense...so your 8 ohm cabs are fine, one in each channel. If you had another 2 x 8 ohm cabinets, you could run two 8 ohm cabinets, in parallel, per output, giving you the minimum - 4 ohm load.

So 2 x 8ohm cabinets in parallel = 4 ohms.

Does that make sense?
[/quote]

So does that mean that I will get 2x200 watts with the 8 Ohm speakers as a pair (one in each output channel) and [b]still[/b] [b]get[/b] 2x200 watts if i ran four speakers in parallel? ie two speakers linked direct to another two

[quote name='vicar' timestamp='1322726714' post='1454841']
So does that mean that I will get 2x200 watts with the 8 Ohm speakers as a pair (one in each output channel) and [b]still[/b] [b]get[/b] 2x200 watts if i ran four speakers in parallel? ie two speakers linked direct to another two
[/quote]
Nope because an 8ohm speaker linked to another 8ohm speaker via the link socket will put those speakers in series which gives you 4ohms, which on that amp gets you 400 per output.

[size=5][sup]If you are 200watts into 4 ohm perside..you will need the load of that channel to be 4ohms. and if you are only using 1 8ohm cab per side...you'll get something like 140 into 8 ohms per side.[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]FWIW.. I think PV cabs are ok...and bang for buck, decent, but there are plenty better.[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]As for PV amps on the P.A side... I'd avoid, as the EQ is harsh and not forgiving, IMO.[/sup][/size]

[size=5][sup]If budget is the be all and end-all..you'll find PV delivers, but if you are a bit discerning..you'll put your money elswewhere, esp amp-wise.[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]Power-amps ok..EQ section, not[/sup][/size]

[size=5][sup]IMO.[/sup][/size]

• 1 month later...

we have used thomman speakon and xlr cables for a couple of years now with no problems. Good value. We use EV 767a vocal mic's and SM58's for guitar amp to PA
reviews here
[url="http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/475495-my-entirely-subjective-review-beta58a-vs-sennheiser-e935-vs-ev-767a.html"]http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/475495-my-entirely-subjective-review-beta58a-vs-sennheiser-e935-vs-ev-767a.html[/url]

[quote name='vicar' timestamp='1326922371' post='1503924']
Does anybody use the Thomman pro series or have any other recommendations?. I want good quality connectors and cable, not cheap rubbish, but not the very best top quality pro stuff.

Thanks
[/quote]

I use the Pro Series Mics for mic'ing up guitar cabs, because I found them a bit too 'sensitive' for vocals. They transmit all the bumps against the mic' stand/breath against the shield/and just general background noise. A bit of a bugger to e.q. as well, because they're pretty trebley to start with. I looked on eBay, and found the odd dedicated 'bargain' Vocal Mic, and just built mine up like that. If there's no rush, you can end up with a bag full of Shures or Beyers for very little money. Same thing with the leads-look for the specs, and really READ the description, because once again, there are some bargains out there. People like Wearside Electronics do damn good leads for damn good prices. (Own experience, but there may be someone closer to you.) ;)