Why become a member? ×

Oh no! Another lightweight speaker cabinet build...

LawrenceH

Having heard these in person, they do sound very good, even alongside a drummer who is at the lively end of things. What did the finished weight end up as? I suspect that one of these may go a bit louder than my EA Wizzy 10 cab too. You just need to find a head that comes in blue now, or would that be vain?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1338225085' post='1671119']
Having heard these in person, they do sound very good, even alongside a drummer who is at the lively end of things. What did the finished weight end up as? [/quote]

I don't have any scales here - but the bare poplar cabs felt so light that I decided to prioritise comfort, durability and appearance over weight for the hardware. The steel grill is probably where one could make the easiest weight reduction and one day I may replace this with something else. I may just be able to weigh it tomorrow as the midwife will be weighing my new son! I suspect it weighs less than 8 kg. Could probably lose a bit more using different hardware

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1338225085' post='1671119']
I suspect that one of these may go a bit louder than my EA Wizzy 10 cab too. You just need to find a head that comes in blue now, or would that be vain?
[/quote]

Comparitive volume is probably very frequency dependent. I bet the EA is louder in the upper mids, but not sure if it could match these in the lows - we could always A/B them sometime, or if you want to borrow one of these to try on a gig you'd be welcome. I'd be interested to know!

Oh and the vanity, isn't that what we're all in it for? ;)

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1338246912' post='1671724']
Cool! Love the colour!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Cheers, I ordered a whole load of little vinyl swatches to choose from! This seemed in keeping with my jazz bass blue refin that I put up on here a while back...oh the vanity! Mr Beer I might just have to repaint the F1 someday.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's any help - the front panel of the F1 is removeable with just a couple of screws without damaging it. I intended on doing some graphics for my F1 but never got round to it - It just has a black face now! I've put it up for sale here on BC for not much money. I'd looked at several options including a vinyl overlay that I think could have been very cool, or a polished mirror front. I think a matching sleeve would be very cool - you could even make the head casing look like a valve amp (like a Marshall for example) - but instead of the space being used to make way for transformers and valves in a normal valve head, you could make a little drawer round the back for leads and power cables? Functional!

Dood, Rubis - thanks for the suggestions! Actually dood I saw that you were selling the F1 and it did indeed get me thinking, the only thing is now I'm not sure if I want to stick with the F1 (I think it's a GREAT amp) or move to a GK MB Fusion. The lure of a high voltage valve preamp in the same footprint/weight as the F1 is very strong.
If I could sew vinyl fabric then I'd be well onto a sleeve already...

• 2 weeks later...