Why become a member? ×

All My Loving.

gary mac

Looking for a bit of help with All My Loving by the Beatles.

All these years of bass playing and I have never played this number, however I was asked to learn it for last nights rehearsal.

So over the weekend I dug out my copy of the Beatles 62-66 and had a listen and then tried to copy maccas walking line.

Can't say that I nailed it note for note, but it was fairly close. My take on it was that the chord progression in the verse was F sharp minor, B, E, Csharp minor, A, F sharp minor, D, B, F sharp minor, B, E, C sharp minor, A, B, E, stop.
(sorry that was a bit long winded)

Anyway, got to the rehearsal and I was told to do it in D and off we went.

I got some strange looks and realised I wasn't playing what they were.

This is where I am a bit confused...

Won't list all the chords again but transposing from F sharp to D< I thought the progression would now be

Dm, G, C, Am, F, Dm, Bb, G etc.

Whereas they were playing D, Em A D Bm G Em C Em etc. :)

If you've bothered to read this far, what do you think?

Am I missing something obvious or have the guitarist got it wrong?

Cheers, all the best Gary

If you can download a copy of GuitarPro from somewhere I'm pretty sure I have the file for All My Loving, it would enable you to transpose the bassline into the new key and allow you to double check you were still playing the right notes in the new key.

Without going to far into it ;) I don't see how transposing from F sharp to D could mean the relative pitch of the notes change.

F sharp > B > E

The same run played in D would be

D > G > C

[quote name='johnnylager' post='164445' date='Mar 27 2008, 01:11 PM']2nd option, obviously. :huh:[/quote]

Is correct :)

Edited by bigjohn

As the saying goes, the guitarist is always wrong... just played along myself and your chords are right, buttt when it comes to the strange key change, the whole thing does indeed go to pot - the actual song is in F# minor, so if you put it in D major (why?!), that changes everything... the new chords you were playing were in D minor, whereas theirs (presumably not actually exactly D, Em A D Bm G Em C Em) should have been D major, but I can neither work out why you'd play it in D major nor what would be the right chords... if I were you I'd get them to play it in a minor key or it'll just sound strange!

Always best to find out what key the rest rest of the band want to play the song in first.. i've been through this a few times too, you go away and put in the hours to learn the part and the next minute you find you have to transpose on the fly to make the guitarist/vocalist (*delete as appropriate) sound good :)

Sorry not familar with this particular track so not much help sorry...

[quote name='pete.young' post='164501' date='Mar 27 2008, 02:34 PM']If the first chord is F# minor, then the home key of the song is E .

Transpose it down a tone to D, and the chord progression becomes

Em A D Bmin G Emin C A Emin A D Bmin G A D

The transposed progression you wrote out is to play the song in C .[/quote]

bang on!

just because a song [i]starts[/i] on a given chord, that doesn't automatically mean that it's in that key. The tonic chord of the original is E but the song starts on the second key chord: F#m

primary chords: I = E, IV = A, V = B and secondary chords: II = F#m and VI (relative minor) = C#m

transpose to:

primary chords: I = D, IV = G, V = A and secondary chords: II = Em and VI (relative minor) = Bm