Why become a member? ×

Me playing the Simpsons Theme Tune!

Stuart Clayton

Hi all,

I recently finished arranging the theme tune to the Simpsons as a solo bass piece. All being well, it should appear in my solos book later in the year, but until then, I have uploaded it to my myspace site. Check it out and let me know what you think! It was recorded in one take, with a couple of small punch-ins and what you hear is a rough mix.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/stuartclayton"]http://www.myspace.com/stuartclayton[/url]

I'll do a video of it later as well.

Enjoy!
Stu

[quote name='Jase' post='164444' date='Mar 27 2008, 01:08 PM']Hi Stu,

Thanks for that, I really enjoyed it :) How long did it take to work out?[/quote]

Thanks Jase, glad you liked it. I started working on it in 2005, and picked it up again last week, finished the arrangement, and began practising it. It's tough to play, and I had to put a lot of hours in to get to a performable standard - worth it though!

Cheers
Stuart

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='164423' date='Mar 27 2008, 01:38 PM']I recently finished arranging the theme tune to the Simpsons as a solo bass piece.[/quote]

Nice playing ! I also like the two other songs on your MySpace-site. Good work...

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='164423' date='Mar 27 2008, 12:38 PM']Hi all,

I recently finished arranging the theme tune to the Simpsons as a solo bass piece.[/quote]

You sir, have way too much time on your hands! :huh: Nevertheless, amazing and very enjoyable! Your arrangement of "Nothing Else Matters" is beautiful. Keep up the good work!

:)

[quote name='Alun' post='167157' date='Mar 31 2008, 07:04 PM']Very nice as always :) Any news on when the book is likely to be out?

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

Thanks Alun, and everyone else.

I'm hoping for the book to come out in September, but unfortunately, copyright for most of the best songs is held by Hal Leonard and so getting it approved is likely to be a long, painful and potentially unsuccessful process. I have started this process however, so will keep you all posted. I have recorded five pieces for the book so far, and arranged some of the others, so it's definately moving forward!

Stu

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='167162' date='Mar 31 2008, 08:09 PM']Thanks Alun, and everyone else.

I'm hoping for the book to come out in September, but unfortunately, copyright for most of the best songs is held by Hal Leonard and so getting it approved is likely to be a long, painful and potentially unsuccessful process. I have started this process however, so will keep you all posted. I have recorded five pieces for the book so far, and arranged some of the others, so it's definately moving forward!

Stu[/quote]

Possibly slightly off topic, but how does the copyright side of things work when it comes to publishing written music? I sort of understand the process for recording but never thought of transcriptions/arrangements on paper. Do you have to approach the holder directly or do you go via the written equivalent of MCPS?

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='167187' date='Mar 31 2008, 08:41 PM']Possibly slightly off topic, but how does the copyright side of things work when it comes to publishing written music? I sort of understand the process for recording but never thought of transcriptions/arrangements on paper. Do you have to approach the holder directly or do you go via the written equivalent of MCPS?

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

Publishing rights to most pieces of music are held by one or two big companies - Music Sales, Hal Leonard etc. If you want to print a book with music in that is by artists whose rights they control, you have to submit a license request, together with info on the book including which songs are in it, cover price etc. Usually they approve them and you have to pay a fee based on the print run, but sometimes they don't approve them. This happens if what you want to publish conflicts with something they are planning. I just had a Dream Theater book turned down because the company that control their publishing is already planning something - probably won't even be a bass book, but there you go.

Because the Solos book is intended to feature a CD, there will be a whole MCPS minefield to wade through as well... can't wait...

Fingers crossed for the Solo Arrangements book...

Stu

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='167200' date='Mar 31 2008, 08:00 PM']Publishing rights to most pieces of music are held by one or two big companies - Music Sales, Hal Leonard etc. If you want to print a book with music in that is by artists whose rights they control, you have to submit a license request, together with info on the book including which songs are in it, cover price etc. Usually they approve them and you have to pay a fee based on the print run, but sometimes they don't approve them. This happens if what you want to publish conflicts with something they are planning. I just had a Dream Theater book turned down because the company that control their publishing is already planning something - probably won't even be a bass book, but there you go.

Because the Solos book is intended to feature a CD, there will be a whole MCPS minefield to wade through as well... can't wait...

Fingers crossed for the Solo Arrangements book...

Stu[/quote]

Absolutely. PS - made an impulse order on one of your other books based on the Funk Disco book... impressed... and thats why Im really hoping that the solo one happens!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='167205' date='Mar 31 2008, 08:09 PM']Absolutely. PS - made an impulse order on one of your other books based on the Funk Disco book... impressed... and thats why Im really hoping that the solo one happens![/quote]

Haha, cool! Hope you ordered it from me (www.basslinepublishing.com) and not those thieving b*stards Amazon!!

Stu

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='167222' date='Mar 31 2008, 08:22 PM']Haha, cool! Hope you ordered it from me (www.basslinepublishing.com) and not those thieving b*stards Amazon!!

Stu[/quote]

Of course - got to go straight to the man of course!