Why become a member? ×

Hum noise from amp head

LowdownRumble

Lozz196, because i like to turn the knobs on my bass :)
[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1321742725' post='1442734']
I would agree with Mr F. Does it get any quieter when you press your palm over the bridge?
[/quote]

No it does not. The hum changes a bit when i fiddle with the speaker cable, so im thinking it might be a dodgy connection on the cab. How would one go about fixing a bad earth pass?

Edited by LowdownRumble

[quote name='LowdownRumble' timestamp='1321747277' post='1442769']
Lozz196, because i like to turn the knobs on my bass :)

No it does not. The hum changes a bit when i fiddle with the speaker cable, so im thinking it might be a dodgy connection on the cab. How would one go about fixing a bad earth pass?
[/quote]

Maybe it's the cable itself is knackered, try using different ones and see if there is a difference. You will probably find it's a bad solder joint somewhere, and it's a process of elimination to find it. But often it will be around areas where there is movement, like jack sockets, inputs, power leads and plugs. Unless you are competent in your electrical know-how, I'd leave it to an expert. A good Luthier in your area should be able check the Bass, and will probably know someone who could have a look at the amp. My guy is in Berkshire, which is not a great deal of help to you in Norfolk, but I'm sure there are BC'ers around who can recommend someone in your area.

Here is a story for you...
Years back a friend of my cousins had a proper Arcade Grand Prix Racing game in his garage. You sat in the thing, and we had the door where you put the quid in open. If you stuck your hand round the back, you could pull a small lever that gave you free credit. I put my hand in, and the next thing I knew I could not release my grip from something that felt like my arm was going through a grinder, I was also on the floor in spasms. My cousin managed to boot my arm free from the machine, and luckily I was OK, but very shaken.

Be warned, do not f*** with electricity... Find a professional and let them deal with it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1321741862' post='1442724']
Dubious earth path in your bass.
[/quote]

This sounds right to me, possibly caused by reversed polarity in the wiring somewhere. The volume pot would still work, but it wouldn't be shunting the earth to ground when you turn the pot down.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1321750890' post='1442802']
Here is a story for you...
Years back a friend of my cousins had a proper Arcade Grand Prix Racing game in his garage. You sat in the thing, and we had the door where you put the quid in open. If you stuck your hand round the back, you could pull a small lever that gave you free credit. I put my hand in, and the next thing I knew I could not release my grip from something that felt like my arm was going through a grinder, I was also on the floor in spasms. My cousin managed to boot my arm free from the machine, and luckily I was OK, but very shaken.

Be warned, do not f*** with electricity... Find a professional and let them deal with it.
[/quote]

Ive had my fare share of first hand experiences :) When i was a kid i stuck a key into a wall socket. The key almost melted in my hand as i just stood there getting blasted with electricity :)

Needless to say, illl have someone who knows his stuff have a look at it

[quote name='LowdownRumble' timestamp='1321824453' post='1443571']
Ive had my fare share of first hand experiences :) When i was a kid i stuck a key into a wall socket. The key almost melted in my hand as i just stood there getting blasted with electricity :)

Needless to say, illl have someone who knows his stuff have a look at it
[/quote]

I read back my post today, and hope I didn't come over as a little patronising, I'm sure you know your onions. Hope you get rid of that Hum quick-time.

Best wishes,

Apple