Why become a member? ×

Who else likes cheap strings ?

Slipperydick

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1322766474' post='1455686']
[color=#0000cd][i][b]"I've never seen a set of strings that come individually wrapped in those plastic wrappers that are any good. I'm sure [u]they all come from the same factory and they've all been equally bad[/u]". [/b][/i][/color]

Aaww C'mon.

I'm not the kind to take the moral highground. I just didnt like the way you appeared to rubbish what I said about these strings without actually trying them.
[/quote]

No offence intended and I wasn't trying to rubbish what you said about these strings, I was just been honest; I really have never seen a decent set at that price (Alice included) and they all tend to be packaged like that. That puts me off; 'once bitten...' and all that. It was more a comment on dirt cheap strings in general rather than this particular set.

I'll be honest, I probably won't try them. For the reason above and also because I know that for that much again I could get some Picatos or Fenders which I know are great. If you say these are different and they work for you at a fiver, you've unearthed a bargain. I'd never criticise you for using them or anyone else for trying them, it's just in my experience there's usually a reason that very cheap strings are very cheap.

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1322823317' post='1456203']
No offence intended and I wasn't trying to rubbish what you said about these strings, I was just been honest; I really have never seen a decent set at that price (Alice included) and they all tend to be packaged like that. That puts me off; 'once bitten...' and all that. It was more a comment on dirt cheap strings in general rather than this particular set.

I'll be honest, I probably won't try them. For the reason above and also because I know that for that much again I could get some Picatos or Fenders which I know are great. If you say these are different and they work for you at a fiver, you've unearthed a bargain. I'd never criticise you for using them or anyone else for trying them, it's just in my experience there's usually a reason that very cheap strings are very cheap.
[/quote]

I didnt really take offense.

Yeah, you can get better strings by paying more, but a lot more. But expensive aint always the best value, depends what your after. Pay a couple of grand for a Bass and it will, I hope, be better than a Squier, but whether its a couple of grands worth better depends what you want and how deep your pockets are, plus of course how sure you are that your not just buying for the brand name.

For some reason Rotos are not as good as they used to be - unless of course theres a factory in China somewhere thats selling counterfiet ones, and thats what I've been getting - Last 3 sets I bought went dead in a month or so, where they usually lasted a lot longer.

I agree, most cheap strings are what you expect, and often vary from set to set as well. The ones in the O.P are, in my opinion anyway, good for the price. I got 2 different guage sets on different Basses and they both seem to be lasting well.

Well, today I've just gone and contradicted myself. Hartke strings aren't long enough to do through body stringing on my RD Artist, so I've had to get some super long scale D'Addarios. I don't mind, I quite like XLs - I've had them before, but now I can't say that I don't use any strings other than Hartke :)

It's that extra inch or so that the strings travel to get through the back of the bridge to the through body ferrules when they would normally go straight down through the bridge plate that does the damage!

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1322825511' post='1456249']
I didnt really take offense.

Yeah, you can get better strings by paying more, but a lot more. But expensive aint always the best value, depends what your after. Pay a couple of grand for a Bass and it will, I hope, be better than a Squier, but whether its a couple of grands worth better depends what you want and how deep your pockets are, plus of course how sure you are that your not just buying for the brand name.

For some reason Rotos are not as good as they used to be - unless of course theres a factory in China somewhere thats selling counterfiet ones, and thats what I've been getting - Last 3 sets I bought went dead in a month or so, where they usually lasted a lot longer.

I agree, most cheap strings are what you expect, and often vary from set to set as well. The ones in the O.P are, in my opinion anyway, good for the price. I got 2 different guage sets on different Basses and they both seem to be lasting well.
[/quote]

Oh I totally agree about paying for brands etc. For example the Picatos and particularly the new Fenders I mentioned are as good in my opinion as Slinkys and D'Addarios, yet half the price. In fact the only set I'd pay more for are probably the most expensive ie. Elixir, and that's because they genuinely are the very best I've tried.

I've found these good value for money, they seem to be made in the same place as Rotosound (which might not be a good thing considering some of the comments above), and some people have reported finding Rotosound QC cards in them.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bass_guitar/legacy"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bass_guitar/legacy[/url]

I tend to buy quite bright roundwounds and leave them on for 4-6 months before replacing and they don't seem to have died any faster that the DRs I put on another bass at the same time, or previous sets of Rotosounds or D'Addarios.

I've tried alice strings - they were OK, but nothing special. For the money they were just what I wanted (stick them on to record some slap parts, then back to the flats). I wish my strings were cheap, they're currently working out at a tenner a string. :)

[quote name='bungle' timestamp='1322845625' post='1456642']
I've found these good value for money, they seem to be made in the same place as Rotosound (which might not be a good thing considering some of the comments above), and some people have reported finding Rotosound QC cards in them.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bass_guitar/legacy"]http://www.stringsdi...s_guitar/legacy[/url]

I tend to buy quite bright roundwounds and leave them on for 4-6 months before replacing and they don't seem to have died any faster that the DRs I put on another bass at the same time, or previous sets of Rotosounds or D'Addarios.
[/quote]

+ 1 for Legacy strings. £7.95 a set and great value for money.
Rotosound 'Rotos' rebranded. Never liked Rotosounds until I tried the Rotos (nickel), so these are around
£5/£6 cheaper - no brainer really. Had mine on a couple of months and still fine.