Why become a member? ×

Hugh McDonald has just given me 5 string GAS. Not fair :-(

dave_bass5

Not only that, but Sadosky GAS.

Just listening to a Live Bon Jovi album. I'v always loved Hugh's playing, very melodic without standing out, but when he hit the low note in the opening bar of Dead or Alive, oh my, now i want/need/fancy, whatever a 5 string.

Its not going to happen before the new year, and i very, very much doubt it will be a Sad but isnt it funny how GAS can just hit you without warning.

Ive had them, never really missed them but now all of a sudden i want one again.

Chris. Sadowsky's are all over his website, there is a huge picture of one on his front page. Ive no idea what he plays now but the gig ive been listening to also has a DVD and its definitly a Sad on the recordnig.
Im not suggesting this tone is only down to him using a Sadowsky, or any bass really, just that his tone and playing is very inspiring, and I do love his 5 string PJ.

I think no matter what he plays he sounds fantastic. I really enjoy his playing and love his style. Nothing flash, just gets the job done.

If he is endorsing Carvin now ) maybe he should change the front page of his website.

[url="http://www.huey-mcdonald.com/"]http://www.huey-mcdonald.com/[/url]

Like Bigwan said, I think his site affirms that he pretty much uses whatever he wants. As far as I know it isn't 'against the law' to endorse several instruments at the same time. Take Lee Sklar as an example, Yamaha, Dingwall and shortly Warwick.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by M-N-Y

My GAS for 5s started in 1986 when I saw Laurence Cottle Playing a Wal custom 5. Athough I'd been experimenting for years, tuning my 4 down a 4th to B, (as I was told my many a luthier that making a 5 was impossible, due to unavailabily of machines, pups, bridges, and most importantly, strings.... not to mention a complete redesign of the shape, due to balance issues)....this was the first time I'd heard another player use those notes....It was a proper B string this time..not a tuned down E..
The world fell out of my bottom when he played those low notes, and I yelled every time he did so...(not good in a jazz club)...I was gibbering wreck after that...I ordered one from Wal the very next day.
To this day that low B continues to make me go all gooey inside when I hear it played...Anthony Jackson being the main culprit (he did invent it after all)..
Stangely, the B never sounds that low when I play it...bummer...that's my excuse for fitting a double drop hipshot :)
TIP..If you have never played a 5 or are not used to one, take your reference from the G..eg think of C on the A string as 3 strings down, rather than 3 strings up, don't over use the B........Oh..and get some nappys...

Edited by bassgeek

[quote name='bassgeek' timestamp='1321951137' post='1444637']
TIP..If you have never played a 5 or are not used to one, take your reference from the G..eg think of C on the A string as 3 strings down, rather than 3 strings up, don't over use the B........Oh..and get some nappys...
[/quote]
As per my post earlier, ive had them in the past. Two Laklands and a Fender MIA P5. loved playing them but wanted a change so i went back to 4 strings.
I think i actually prefer playing 5 strings. I first got in to them when i had o play some songs in new keys for a band i was depp'ing with. It made sense to just transpose rather than learn to play them differently.
I find the narrower string spacing on the 5 strings ive had to be more comfortable as well.

[quote name='nick@ibassmag' timestamp='1321952236' post='1444650']
Have you watched Hugh's interview in ibass mag?
[/quote]

On my list of things to do this week/end. I saw the thread about the mag yesterday so im going to check it out.

Cheers.