Why become a member? ×

Christmas Combo!

pqs

My wife has very kindly offered to treat me to a new amp/speaker for Christmas. I have decided I'll probably go with a combo as it seems easier to set up, it has to be new as it will be going on plastic and I have about £350 limit. I like the idea of the Marshall MB4210 as I could add speakers to it later and it would run at 450 watts as well as running at 300 watts unaided.
I am in the process of getting a punk type band together we are all 45 + so we are not looking to"make it" just have fun and do the odd gig any ideas what to spend her hard earned on?
Thanks in advance
Pete

What a generous wife!

I think I've heard (based on rumour and hearsay without any evidence) that the Marshall MB combos have problems with volume. Not sure if its true or not but see if you can try before you buy?

I've had good experiences with Ashdown combos (Mag 2x10 or 1x15). Although they get some stick on here for wooly sound, so again, try one out.

Edit for spelling

Edited by rOB

If you can stretch the budget a bit you can pick up a TC Electronics BG500 combo for just over £400 if you shop around. I bought a 15" version recently and have been really please with it. 500 watts as a standalone unit with 3 programmable memory slots, compressor and tube overdrive feature. Great bit of kit.

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1321199146' post='1436330']
What a generous wife!

I think I've heard (based on rumour and hearsay without any evidence) that the Marshall MB combos have problems with volume. Not sure if its true or not but see if you can try before you buy?

I've had good experiences with Ashdown combos (Mag 2x10 or 1x15). Although they get some stick on here for wooly sound, so again, try one out.

Edit for spelling
[/quote]

+1 for the Ashdown MAG's, great sounding and very solid for the money.

The Marshall MB4210 is a good amp, and very versatile, due to its 2 channels. I used one in a heavy rock band with a VERY LOUD drummer, and had no problems with the volume. I used it on it`s own for practices. For gigs I added in the matching 115 for a bit of depth to the sound (plus I wanted a Marshall stack) but the combo could have coped fine in regular pub type venues. The ext speaker was also good to get the height of the sound up nearer the ears, tho a beer-crate or two could do that.

The Classic channel on these is great, plus the boost can really add in some grind. I changed to the head & 410, again, only using the 300 watts. I used this set-up in a punk band - covers - and it was plenty loud enough, volume usually on 4, never needed it on more than 5.

The oher thing is, a Peavey TVX 210 ext speaker cab works very well with the combo - something else I tried. So it`s possible to have 10s only, if you want an extra cab, but don`t like 15s.

I`ve not had anything else in that price bracket, as I`ve developed a liking for head/cab set-ups, which unfortunately for me, is significantly more pricey. I`m not too "up" on combos at present, but for the power and versatility, coupled with the price, the Marshall is hard to beat, in my view.

I`ve just had a quick look, and in the £350 bracket, most other amps are 150/200 watts, though Ashdown have a couple of 300 watt amps at £380, and Peavey have a 400 watt 1x15 combo at £355. GAK, being my source.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1321210649' post='1436555']
The Marshall MB4210 is a good amp, and very versatile, due to its 2 channels. I used one in a heavy rock band with a VERY LOUD drummer, and had no problems with the volume. I used it on it`s own for practices. For gigs I added in the matching 115 for a bit of depth to the sound (plus I wanted a Marshall stack) but the combo could have coped fine in regular pub type venues.
[/quote]

I stand corrected. Apologies

I'd looked at the Marshall combo about 3-4 years ago, but I heard a lot of reports that it was unreliable (though Lozz never reported any troubles with his) & that it weighs more than my house does.
I ended up spending a good bit more on a Markbass combo.
I'd keep an eye on the 2nd hand section on here & gather as much info as you can.
Just re read, has to be new :) Mine did too. 2nd hand does give you much better bang for your buck. Have a word with the Bass Merchant, they're closing down at the end of the month (unfortunately :) ) & they're very helpful.