Why become a member? ×

Frequency range from cabinet

pbaleiras

[size=4]Orange is saying that they are "using a new speaker mounting concept". Really? They must have forgotten that Isobaric designs are nearly 60 years old![/size]

[size=4]The SP212 cabs are about £600 over here, so for about the same cost I'd check out Barefacedbass 2x12 cabs. [/size]

Bass Gear Magazine tested at least one of the 'Smart Power' cabs in a recent issue. As they're isobaric note that their maximum output is the same as that of that of a normal ported cab with half the number of woofers - so their SP212 is equivalent to any of the typical neo 1x12" cabs in performance.

[quote name='pbaleiras' timestamp='1320252934' post='1424425']
Thanks for the answers... :)

Alexclaber - so.... The freq range from sp212 its similar to "regular" 1x12, right?!?

Cheers
[/quote]

A generic neo 1x12 at full tilt maybe, he said 'maximum' output. The smart power I would guess is tuned very low so the isobaric loading has a point, so it probably has a lower extension, but will also have a mess somewhere in the mids/highs because of the loading, although maybe it already rolls off before there due to the drivers, basically the distance between the two drivers puts them out of phase from the time it takes for sound to get from one to the other. The maximum is the same because the speaker can only travel so far back and forth.

There is huge variety in the range of non-neo 1x12s just because there are many more non-neo drivers about, and many more years of cabs having been put on the market, some predating the design knowledge that neo era stuff benefits from. Basically there isn't a typical 12" sound, but you can sort of generalise about a typical neo 1x12 due to there being fairly limited scope for them.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

Looking at the BGM measurements, the impedance plot shows that it's tuned to ~55Hz and the frequency response curve (which has some pretty big room anomalies below 500Hz) shows that it rolls off at about that point. The extra space taken up by the isobaric chamber is so large that you could get rid of the chamber and second woofer and get near identical bass response with less cost, less weight and greater sensitivity, and without all the midrange and treble weirdness of one driver firing through another. The Bass Terror in the same tests shows itself in a much more favourable light, an amp I frequently recommend!

[url="http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/publication/?i=76122"]http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/publication/?i=76122[/url]

But The Bass Terror i already have!! :)

And i have a Warwick WCA-411 Pro....but... it's too large to carry in my car (citroen C1 :o )
This is the reason i wanted to do a downsize.... :)

[color=#888888][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]

[color=#333333][size=4]I accept your opinions and suggestions as to what to choose cabinet ... but in Portugal,cabinets like Aguilar, Barefaced, bergantino, schroeder, etc are really expensive ... and comparing these with the orange, the SP212 are very cheaper ....[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=4]CheerS :) [/size][/color][color=#888888][size=3]

[color=#444444][size=2][/size][/color]

[/size][/color]

[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='pbaleiras' timestamp='1320271613' post='1424767']
But The Bass Terror i already have!! :)

And i have a Warwick WCA-411 Pro....but... it's too large to carry in my car (citroen C1 :o )
This is the reason i wanted to do a downsize.... :)

[color=#333333][size=4]I accept your opinions and suggestions as to what to choose cabinet ... but in Portugal,cabinets like Aguilar, Barefaced, bergantino, schroeder, etc are really expensive ... and comparing these with the orange, the SP212 are very cheaper ....[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=4]CheerS :) [/size][/color]
[/quote]

Sure the Barefaced is more expensive there?

[quote name='pbaleiras' timestamp='1320321114' post='1425226']
Ok.... So what do you suggest?!?

not forget that the orange has 500Wrms, And i Think should not link a cabinet with less power...am i right?!?
[/quote]
The power rating means almost nothing. What limits output is driver displacement; see the Barefaced site for an explanation of what displacement is. While an isobaric has the power rating of two drivers it has the displacement of only one, in this case no more than 300cc.