Why become a member? ×

Install Bass Bridge From Scratch

discreet

There is plenty of information both here on BC and t'interweb in general on how to replace an existing bass bridge with another bass bridge (upgrade).

But try as I might with the Google-beast, I can't seem to find any information anywhere on how to install a bridge on a 34"-scale bass (for example) where there was no bridge before, i.e. a custom build.

I'm guessing there are BassChatters who do this on a regular basis. Can anyone run through the procedure or at least point me to some relevant information regarding alignment, placement, fitting and so forth? Thanks! :)

Tie two pieces of thread to your bridge (one on the G saddle the other on the E) then send them up through your nut (you need a neck fitted for this technique) and tie or tape off. Make sure your bit of thread on your G string is 34" long and that the saddle is about two thirds up on it's adjustment front to back. Then keeping the threads taught (not stretched), simply line up your bridge using the threads as guides in relation to your neck and pups - keeping your bridge nice and square accurately mark the positions of the screw holes. Then take your body over to your drill press.... oh .... :)

On my home assembled Precision I covered a path from the neck to the end of the body with masking tape and used a straight edge, a tape measureand the bridge itself as a template to pencil mark it all out direct on to the body. I then drilled guide holes for the screws of the bridge and removed all the masking tape and screwed the bridge on. I was chuffed when It worked perfectly. I have very limited DIY skills.

First post for a while!

So right you need to think of a few things:

[b]Scale length[/b] - you need to make sure it measure up right so it will intonate correctly

[b]Alignment[/b] - you need to make sure it lines up perfectly and you wont fall of the end of the fingerboard

[b]String spacing[/b] - make sure the new bridge you have isnt going to be too wide so it falls of the fingerboard at either side!

[b]String through body holes[/b] - watch out that any string through body holes match up too.

Measuring the scale length is the most important - measure 17" from the 12th fret on the G string the saddle and mark. I cover the area in masking tape so i can draw on it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacksinstrumentsvcs/5699485845/in/photostream

With alignment i like to use a combination of drawing a centre line on top of the masking tape, do the E and G strings trick (if your nut's correct) and checking by eye! I've found a few crappy misaligned neck pockets in my time

hope that helps,
Jack