Why become a member? ×

advice needed

toaophil

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this, and also to the world of bass gear. I can play, but dont really know what is what in the world of bass equipment etc.

So - I'm looking to buy a bass, as at the mo i'm constantly borrowing. My budget isnt alot.

I found a 5 string Infinity bass on ebay for 140 quid.

Its immaculate, and i'm tempted.

So, what are Infinity like? And is this good value?

Cheers everyone

Phil

Hi Phil,

Can't say I've hear of it, which isn't ideal. Immaculateness isn't something you need to worry so much about for a first bass. You're far better off getting a second hand bargain, and that way it doesn't matter if you beat it up a little!

IMO you're better off shelling out that much for a second hand Ibanez, Yamaha, or if you can stretch a bit more for the right SGC Nanyo. These basses are known to be consistently solid in build and perform to a perfectly acceptable standard for the money.

Cheers,
Dan

Yes, not heard of the bass mentioned, but my advice would be to consider your budget, and, lets say it`s £200, then trawl the music shops, trying out basses in the £350/£400 area. Then, once you`ve found the bass you like, try and find one of them 2nd hand, on here/Ebay/music shops on-line, which should be within your range. Yamaha, Ibanez, Squier Classic Vibe, all good basses and worth a look.

[quote name='toaophil' timestamp='1319456779' post='1414229']
Yeah i'd be happy with a four.

Cheers all. I'm an Ibanez fan so might search for some 2nd hand's
[/quote]

This is a cool looking bass for the price, and Ibanez too...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-White-Jet-King-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Good-Condition-/190592139058?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c602d3f32"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-White-Jet-King-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Good-Condition-/190592139058?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c602d3f32[/url]

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1319534877' post='1415195']

this, because there's probably a friendly neighbourhood basschatter near you who wouldn't object to trawling the music shops with you.
[/quote]

errr, No, because i know someone who has a Squire Jazz bass, 5 years old, never played, with a Trace Elliott green carpet Boxer 65 combo, again untouched, and wants pennies for the set, so if this guy was local, it might work. Trying to help someone out, but as usual, not able to do that on BC without some sarcy comment from someone with no relevance to the thread.

In future i will stick to responding to specific threads i'm interested in, and not waste time actually bothering to try and help people.who are new on here, and could maybe do with some advice, or a bargain pointing in their direction.

Location is quite important when buying/selling gear, especially cheap gear, as the cost of shipping can often be more than the price of the gear.

And yes, there are some friendly basschatters on here, although you probably havent experienced that, i wonder why?

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1319542708' post='1415393']

errr, No, because i know someone who has a Squire Jazz bass, 5 years old, never played, with a Trace Elliott green carpet Boxer 65 combo, again untouched, and wants pennies for the set, so if this guy was local, it might work. Trying to help someone out, but as usual, not able to do that on BC without some sarcy comment from someone with no relevance to the thread.

In future i will stick to responding to specific threads i'm interested in, and not waste time actually bothering to try and help people.who are new on here, and could maybe do with some advice, or a bargain pointing in their direction.

Location is quite important when buying/selling gear, especially cheap gear, as the cost of shipping can often be more than the price of the gear.

And yes, there are some friendly basschatters on here, although you probably havent experienced that, i wonder why?
[/quote]

:)
what sarcy comment?

A post suggested trawling the music shops, so if we know the location a nearby basschatter could be up for joining in. Entirely relevant to the thread.

Not sure why you think I haven't experienced friendly basschatters?

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1319543335' post='1415411']

:)
what sarcy comment?

A post suggested trawling the music shops, so if we know the location a nearby basschatter could be up for joining in. Entirely relevant to the thread.

Not sure why you think I haven't experienced friendly basschatters?
[/quote]

I think your reply was taking the piss, if not I've got it wrong. My bad.

I've read it again, and it sounds like you are sarcastically implying that no-one would be interested in trawling local music shops for someone else.

If you were being serious, then i apologise, doesnt read that way though, to me anyway.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1319545155' post='1415480']

I think your reply was taking the piss, if not I've got it wrong. My bad.

I've read it again, and it sounds like you are sarcastically implying that no-one would be interested in trawling local music shops for someone else.

If you were being serious, then i apologise, doesnt read that way though, to me anyway.
[/quote]

Yep, you got it wrong. But apology accepted.