Why become a member? ×

Cheap Acoustic Bass for a beginner?

Bassman Sam

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1319367230' post='1413071']
Unless there's some specific reason why he needs an acoustic I would say that a cheap acoustic bass will probably put him off bass for life.
[/quote]

I know what you mean but the school don't do one to one teaching, imagine 10 practice amps all blasting bum notes for a hour. Hence, the acoustic route.

Keep an eye out for the old Ozark, Hohner, Alliance etc ones. They all look similar (same factory probably) and can set up quite well whilst keeping within budget. I would extend your budget a bit to include a setup though as acoustic basses can need a fair bit of work, also maybe some nylon coated strings although he'll get more volume from bronze or steel rounds.

When i got mine it rattled like hell (poor fret job/badly cut fret slots) and the bridge and nut slots needed filing right down. It's a nice instrument though and I never had any problems playing it, it just requires a bit more effort and focus to get the desired sound out of it which I never saw as a bad thing at the learner stage. Certainly not painful to play like a bad acoustic guitar with cheeswire strings, just made me think a bit more about how i fretted a note.

A friend of mine has a Samick AB which was pretty cheap and it's a dream to play, really well built with a low action straight from the factory. Lots more volume and low end acoustically than my Ozark too.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1319367230' post='1413071']
Unless there's some specific reason why he needs an acoustic I would say that a cheap acoustic bass will probably put him off bass for life.
[/quote]

+1

It's a different beast; can be difficult to get your hands around and play with any fluidity. Not ideal to start out with but I understand the reasons.