Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal room rig revelations

Guest MoJo

The studio where we rehearse usually has an Ampeg, Ashdown or David Eden rig at my disposal. This week there was a big gap where the 8 x 10 normally stood. My eyes fell upon a tired looking Peavey KB300 keyboard combo in the corner.
"I'll use this", I announced. The guys insisted I go and ask for a 'proper' rig. I couldn't be bothered in going up two flights and then having to wait while someone fetched a rig for me so I continued to set up the KB300.
I plugged my Yammie into my 'cheap-as-chips' Korg AX1B into the KB300. What a glorious sound. All the patches on the AX1B came through nice and clear. The bass sat well in the mix with just enough weight.
I came away at the end of the night wondering why I'd spent so much money on my Trace Elliot gear :)

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1319235484' post='1411832']
Keyboard amps are mini PAs and I love them.

Having said that, I'm loving my new to me Peavey 410tx.
Weighs a fair old bit, but the sound.

Oh lord, the sound.
[/quote]

I recently went on a mini tour with a keys playing friend who was looking for some new gear, most of the shops had the Roland combos (the ones with the tilty fronts and multiple channels). Basically a little combo PA built for a full range signal, they sounded great. I was itching to pull a bass off the wall and stick it through them!

I just got rid of an old TNT 130.

It must have been like lb/ft compared to N/M.

Only 130 of those watts, but each one was a full sized time served full fat watt. Could hold its own anywhere.

Having said that, it was very much an old school sound from the days before we had the good sounding amps we now have.
I know that there are old and good amps, but once you take out the SVT and the B15, a lot of the old stuff that we could all afford when the TNT was current was pretty naff sounding. HH Bass Machine / Carlsbro Stingray anyone ?

The TNT had a fairly pronounced lower mid clank and no real crisp top end to speak of. Not a bad sound as such, but not a great sound either.
Workmanlike and dependable, as ever with Peavey though.

Maybe I just discovered the Trace sound and never moved on. :)

I've owned a TNT160 in recent years and before the Trace gear, my rig consisted of a Peavey Max 450 into two 410TX's. The TNT had a huge amount of clout with that low mid thump but did lack a bit of top end sizzle. The 450 and 410's sounded monsterous but were just too much to lug about. If I'd discovered the KB300 before buying the TNT, I may still be using it today

• 2 weeks later...