Why become a member? ×

NS WAV/NXT - Double Bass Sound Possible?

Linus27

I may have to record a song soon which I feel would really suit a double bass sound. I have a bit of GAS for an NS Wav or NXT which I may bring forward if it can give me a nice double bass tone. My old Stagg could easily do a nice fat double bass tone. Does anyone know if the NS Wav or NXT can produce an authentic double bass tone or does it sound like a glorified fretless?

I also find that a bit of reverb with the room set to the size of a DB body helps as well - I explained this to the engineer when we were recording by asking for a reverb room the size of a cupboard. Now when I get an NS bass tone that meets someones approval, it's described as 'nice and cupboardy' by the band members.

Having owned a Stagg (yours now Michael) and a Steinberger I feel that you will probably be just as well off with a bit of knob tweeking on the Stagg. Yes, the Steinberger is the better bass in terms of workmanship, playability and overall quality but in sonic terms not a lot, I feel.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1319119916' post='1410177']
Having owned a Stagg (yours now Michael) and a Steinberger I feel that you will probably be just as well off with a bit of knob tweeking on the Stagg. Yes, the Steinberger is the better bass in terms of workmanship, playability and overall quality but in sonic terms not a lot, I feel.
[/quote]

Thanks Bassace. I don't own the Stagg anymore as I was spending more time on fretless. To start again, would it be better to pick up a 2nd hand Steinberger or not spend the extra and pick up a second hand Stagg? I have read some horror stories regarding the Stagg in terms of build quality. Thankfully our one was fine. I think you can pick up a Steinberger for aroung £400 second hand.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1319120393' post='1410190']

Thanks Bassace. I don't own the Stagg anymore as I was spending more time on fretless. To start again, would it be better to pick up a 2nd hand Steinberger or not spend the extra and pick up a second hand Stagg? I have read some horror stories regarding the Stagg in terms of build quality. Thankfully our one was fine. I think you can pick up a Steinberger for aroung £400 second hand.
[/quote]

Well, that puts it in rather a different ball game - I was assuming you still had the Stagg. In that case probably better to get a Steinberger than buy a new Stagg if you have the budget.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1319120722' post='1410197']

Well, that puts it in rather a different ball game - I was assuming you still had the Stagg. In that case probably better to get a Steinberger than buy a new Stagg if you have the budget.
[/quote]

Glad you said that. Gives me an excuse to get a new toy :) Thanks for the help.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1319120393' post='1410190']

[/quote]

I got my NXT for £450, I added a fishman platimun pro preamp and reckon it sounds close enough to my mates orchestral double bass when recorded that I'm happy with it

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1319122469' post='1410235']

I got my NXT for £450, I added a fishman platimun pro preamp and reckon it sounds close enough to my mates orchestral double bass when recorded that I'm happy with it
[/quote]

Excellent, thank you, just what I needed to hear.