Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass

ssab

Hi all,

Anyone got any iformation regarding the markbass 151 cmd, i think its the model before the Jeff Berlin Signature.
All i know is that its a 500w with a single 15 inch speaker.
If anyone can throw any light on this it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by ssab

They're very nice! The full specs are here:

http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=75

I gig with one. Its got a nice tone which is pretty neutral and doesn't colour the tone in any way. The Mark Bass filters are excellent and its plenty loud enough for small gigs. I add a 2x10 cab for larger venues and it copes fine.

Ignore the Jeff Berlin signature bit - its a very versatile, giggable, and portable combo whether or not you're a fan of Mr Berlin!.

The standard 151 is similar spec. The main difference is that the Jeff Berlin has the control panel on the front (rather than the top) and has no tweeter. So is probably worth looking at too - I got the Jeff Berlin as my local music shop had one in stock and offered a discount on it as ex-demo. Otherwise I probably would have got the standard 151.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1318709582' post='1405526']
They're very nice! The full specs are here:

[url="http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=75"]http://www.markbass....etail.php?id=75[/url]

I gig with one. Its got a nice tone which is pretty neutral and doesn't colour the tone in any way. The Mark Bass filters are excellent and its plenty loud enough for small gigs. I add a 2x10 cab for larger venues and it copes fine.

Ignore the Jeff Berlin signature bit - its a very versatile, giggable, and portable combo whether or not you're a fan of Mr Berlin!.
[/quote]

Edited by ssab

[quote name='ssab' timestamp='1318709870' post='1405530']
Hi, sorry my typo error, i think its before the jeff berlin model.
[/quote]

Ah! I was editing my post as you typed that!

I was adding a para to say that the standard 151 combo is pretty much the same spec but with an added tweeter. If you're looking for a versatile combo you won't go far wrong.

Edited by simon1964

NOTE: It's only 500W when coupled with another 8ohms cab see note at the foot of this message [b](*)[/b] otherwise you have about 200W when played solo.

Apart from the fact that they use one of their best production head i.e. the Little Mark Head, all I can tell you is that the cab construction of Mark Bass combo's is one of the best around, they tune their cabs like no other manufacturers, the ply they use is top grade and extremely resonant, you can hit it with a mallet and you would get a note not a thud, they are the bollox!

If you are getting one, please don't be like the average lazy tosser that leaves all the eq controls flat and just use the bass eq to get a sound, lazy fukkers I'd shoot the lot of 'em!

I encourage you to venture and experiment with tweaking every knob and you will find a vast diversity of sounds which this amp is capable of giving you. The last two knobs are your money knobs VLE and VPF namely Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator and Variable Preshape Filter. The first helps you to morph your sound from modern bright and punchy to a vintage deeper and muddier tone, whereas the VPF alters the eq scoop from enhanced bass/treble and lower mids to the opposite, i.e. enhanced mids and lower bass / treble.

[b](*)[/b] Add an extention 2 x 10 Mark Bass to your set up and you will be the loudest mother.... on stage

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Grand Wazoo's pretty much right there, the MB combos are excellent kit. Though it's @ 350w without the ext cab (not that it matters, as it's seriously loud).

If I had the CMD 151, I'd add another MB 15" cab. I have the CMD 102p & if I ever need more volume, I'd add another 2x10.

IMO, the 210 is a far better answer than the 115.
The 115 is dull in sound character, although it puts out the volume well enough.
The horn isn't very good and most turn it off, which makes it sound even duller.

I think the 102 is the best combo around I've tried, but you need to be sure you
want a 15" speaker.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1318796015' post='1406339']
Grand Wazoo's pretty much right there, the MB combos are excellent kit. Though it's @ 350w without the ext cab (not that it matters, as it's seriously loud).

If I had the CMD 151, I'd add another MB 15" cab. I have the CMD 102p & if I ever need more volume, I'd add another 2x10.
[/quote]

Yes that's correct I couldn't remember if it was 200W or 350W when used solo, thanks for correcting me.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1318832723' post='1406533']
IMO, the 210 is a far better answer than the 115.
The 115 is dull in sound character, although it puts out the volume well enough.
The horn isn't very good and most turn it off, which makes it sound even duller.

I think the 102 is the best combo around I've tried, but you need to be sure you
want a 15" speaker.
[/quote]

Exactly I have tried every possible combination with my 102 and the best was a traveller 2x10' that paired with the 102 was the most kickass of the lot.

I've been using a CMD 151 for a couple of years now, on its own its great in pubs, and I use it with a 104HR when doing bigger gigs. Its even small enough to practice with. Absolutely hoofin sound, plenty of power and sounds lovely with pretty much any bass I play through it. couldn't recommend more highly! I have also been known to unplug the internal speaker and just use with the 104... really versatile rig!

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1318869517' post='1407188']
i use the 2by10 traveler cab with my little mark 11 and though it is not as low ended as I would like, i prefer it to the 1by15 traveler cab. Has any of you guys had the experience of using the 1by12 traveler cab?. in theory it might be a good compromise
[/quote]
It's nothing to do with the driver size, it's the cab dimensions. The bigger MB 2x10 cabs have loads more low end, the traveller is a compromise of low end for a lighter & smaller footprint cab.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1318879761' post='1407371']
It's nothing to do with the driver size, it's the cab dimensions. The bigger MB 2x10 cabs have loads more low end, the traveller is a compromise of low end for a lighter & smaller footprint cab.
[/quote]

for sure. however I am confined to using small lightweight cabs ( bad back and a ford fiesta!) so i am interested in whether the 1by12 traveler, or for that matter any other small lightweight cab is a good compromise between the lack of definition (IMO) of the markbass 1by15 and the lack of bass of the 2by10.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1318963125' post='1408377']

for sure. however I am confined to using small lightweight cabs ( bad back and a ford fiesta!) so i am interested in whether the 1by12 traveler, or for that matter any other small lightweight cab is a good compromise between the lack of definition (IMO) of the markbass 1by15 and the lack of bass of the 2by10.
[/quote]
That's one of the reasons I went for a combo. Easy carry with 1 hand (usually the drummers) & small enough to fit into whatever small car I have (was a Honda DelSol, then a VX Corsa C & now an old T plate Clio) & has enough grunt & low end to cope without PA at decent gigs (Next gig is in Dunblane, 12/11/11 at the Victoria Hall (shameless plug)).
Try one of the larger 2x10s that MB do, you'll be surprised at how little they weigh & how low they can go (OK, so Barefaced go lower still).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your comments,

After much umming and aarhging i purchased a 151 about a week ago.
tried it out at the sellers house and was quite surprised at how quiet it was ???? (not properly set up maybe)
Got it home,plugged in my jazz dialled in the preset Jaco sound and let it Rip!

God theres so much power in it it nearly blew my little yorkie into the next room.

Cant wait to Gig It. :) :)