Why become a member? ×

better bass for my 12 year old son?

WheresMyJumper

Thanks for all the fantastic advice. What I've decided to do first is try this friend who is a bass player( as rightly pointed out not a base [ball] player) and see if he will let him try his collection of guitars and try and see if we can find the style of bass he likes, also do the same at a shop, then look for a good one on this site following your recommendations!!

Now next on my list is listening to my daughter (classical guitar) and two friends , voice and flute, play Stairway to Heaven at the school concert. 14 year olds have no fear just wish they would practice a bit more.

Thanks again for your time.

The Squier CV models are great and hold their prices well secondhand - great for selling on, not so great for buying. Two brands that often get overlooked and can be ridiculously cheap secondhand are Aria (not their real cheapos - STB I think, avoid these) or Cort. With the help of your pro friend you should be able to pick up a pretty good model from either of these manufactrurers for a very good price (just won't be able to sell them on)!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1318616947' post='1404512']
How would a baseball player help? :) Only messing.

My first bass was a Vox Standard which picking up now, is probably the heaviest bass I've ever come across (I'm sure it's made of cement). Most kids aren't gonna worry about weight.
Charic's advice is good though, get him to a shop to try a few out. Maybe here? [url="http://www.basscentre.com/"]Clicky linky.[/url]
[/quote]
I think the Bass Centre is only an online shop nowadays. Maybe The Gallery in Camden would be a better bet.

[quote name='WheresMyJumper' timestamp='1318605207' post='1404283']
Hi

My 12 year old plays bass and we were given/lent a bass, Crest Columbus. It is a bit rubbish, some of the pots dont work and it is very buzzy. My more knowledgable friend (mind he does play lead guitar) said it would cost more to fix than its worth, so I have been wondering what we could replace it with from the for sale section. My son is at grade 5 on the classical guitar and does a band workshop once a week so he isnt an absolute beginner. his current bass came with a Rocket 20B bass practice amp which has also seen better days.

Any suggestions what we should go for? I guess it also needs to look the part! I was hoping to get away with spending under £200!
[/quote]

Squier makes the Bronco Bass, a short-scale, medium-weight, very inexpensive bass ($150 in the US). I had one and liked it quite a lot. The short scale might appeal to a player with smaller hands, or to a beginner.

tg

I must have got through 7 or 8 bass's when I first started playing, mostly cheapo ones like Marlin Precision copies, Encore's, and god knows what. Comments about choosing one that your son feels comfortable with are right - I had a "pro" mate who swore by Music Man's but when i tried his I wasn't keen. I really doubt that unless your son has snapped the neck in two or pulled out all of the fretts that any bass would be too espensive to repair as bits are fairly cheap and anyone with a bit of bass nouse should be able to patch it up for you. Sounds like a secret conspiracy between your son and your pro mate to show you a lot of expensive pro basses and persuade you tobuy a classic.. your sone is a smart boy!! LOL!!

Squiers I think give the best balance of cost and quality. as you can see from my sig I have one as a main.