Why become a member? ×

Shipping to France

DirkThrust

I'm investigating the possibility of shipping a bass to France. Having a quick skim through the courier threads it seems the most popular is UPS/Interparcel. Will they insure it for the full amount.

Would anyone concur with this or suggest another courier. I'm assuming that it'll be fairly straightforward as it's within the EU or am I being too optimistic?

Edited by DirkThrust

I would recommend Interparcel.
They will insure for the full amount, you just need to input the amount you want it insured for when prompted.

You shouldn't have any problems so long as the bass is really well packed.*

[size=2]*I'm not guaranteeing anything, you understand... if the bass is kidnapped by Somali pirates don't come back to me with, 'but you said I shouldn't have any problems!' [/size]

Edit to make any sense at all!
Edit to insert disclaimer!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='DirkThrust' timestamp='1318598352' post='1404163']
Thanks for your replies.

Looking on the Interparcel website, as far as I can see they only offer insurance up to £1050. As I'm selling this bass for £1400 that's quite a shortfall. Are there any other couriers who will offer the full amount?
[/quote]

I think UPS will offer insurance to a higher value as long as you pay the extra premium. I had a bass shipped here from the States and it was insured for the full price. However, that was from a shop and it was brand new so they could prove the value (invoices, customs etc)

The French postal system (La Poste) will only offer insurance to 800 euros but there are private French companies like GLS who have reciprocal arrangements with UK couriers and it could be arranged from this end by your buyer. They also offer supplimentary insurance to a higher value.

I've always found that courier prices go through the roof if you want to go direct and insure for over £1,000.

I always use Interparcel at the full £1,000 limit and hope nothing happens.

Never had a problem with them when sending overseas and they are great at tracking parcels down if they get bogged down somewhere in transit.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1318673440' post='1404989']
I've always found that courier prices go through the roof if you want to go direct and insure for over £1,000.

[/quote]

That's what I've found with the couple who do offer insurance over £1000. It adds something like £70-80 to the cost.