Why become a member? ×

shotgunjoe

That budget will get a lot of cab on here, 2nd hand. A full live rogs worth in fact.

If using for home volumes only, the Ampeg SVT 210AV works nicely with it, in my opinion, Dinky little cab, great sound, nice and vintage-y, which is of course, the OTBs forte as well.

Ah, in that case, with your budget, depending on sound preference, I`d be looking at a 410 from either Ampeg, Ashdown, Hartke or Peavey:

Ampeg - the classic rock grind
Ashdown - have a very "warm" sound, some like, others don`t, but with so many out there, they have to be good
Hartke - very clean sounding, but not a problem with OTB, as it`s a grind monster
Peavey - heavy, but virtually indestructable, good for rock

These are of course, my opinions, others may have differing views. Having had an OTB, and having paired it with a few cabs, my fave pairing was with an Ampeg SVT 410HE, which, if you`re lucky, can be picked up on here for around £300.

This is my cab [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/155700-laney-nexus-nx115-1x15-cab-celestion-neo-400w-8ohms/"]here[/url] and the driver in it makes it really good for dirty and slightly dirty amps.

It was amazing with my Gallien head and I've used a Terror bass through several cabs so I think this would work very well. Plus I've used this cab as a monitor for small to medium sized gigs with no PA and its been great.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you would benefit from either a 4x10 or a 2x15 depends if you want a real punchy sound or a smooth round sort of sound. Personally I would probably go for a 4x10. Any of the above named are worth a go, the best advice really though is to just go out and try as many as you can and really get a feel for the different tonal characteristics you like.

Are you going through a PA? If your bass isn't going through the PA then I'd look at vertical arrays such as 1 or 2 15"s or 1 or 2 2x10"s or 12"s stacked like in Mr Foxen's pic...

Maybe not as tall a rig as that, but you'll get a good even dispersion to your audience. A standard 4x10 doesn't have a very wide dispersion (loud directly in front & volume fades as you move to the left or right).