Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass Guitars

henry norton

Does anyone know of any purely acoustic bass guitars? I mean an acoustic bass guitar that doesn't have (or at least doesn't always need) a piezo pickup and onboard amp. I used to play in an acoustic pop trio but played a fretless Precision through a practice amp. It worked ok but I always hankered after a purer sound (as well as only needing to carry one case to smaller clubs).

I think if you are going to get an acoustic bass guitar you would be a lot better off buying one
that has a pickup. You don't have to plug it in but if you are playing with others,chances are
that you'll have to. Most acoustic bass guitars don't have enough volume to be heard alongside
a couple of acoustic guitars.

What Doddy says and the Ozark I have is nice enough for a few hundred quid although like most things the newer ones appear to be not quite as nice so maybe a secondhand one off the bay or similar? Nice for home noodling IMO.

Here you go this is like mine but mine has not got the fancy pre amp, just vol and tone pots with a 9v battery. Mine also has an oval sound hole which I prefer but if the solid woods are as nice as mine then these should be nice too.
[url="http://www.alangregory.co.uk/music/Ozark_3385N_Acoustic_Bass_Guitar.html"]http://www.alangrego...ass_Guitar.html[/url]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1318433821' post='1402102']
Does anyone know of any purely acoustic bass guitars? I mean an acoustic bass guitar that doesn't have (or at least doesn't always need) a piezo pickup and onboard amp. I used to play in an acoustic pop trio but played a fretless Precision through a practice amp. It worked ok but I always hankered after a purer sound (as well as only needing to carry one case to smaller clubs).
[/quote]
There are some purely acoustic ones, for example the old Eko B4 from the 70s, but you won't hear it when playing with others without amplification.

Thanks for the replies. The general consensus seems to be no acoustic bass guitar is actually loud enough acoustically to be usable. Unless it's a double bass and therefore not a guitar at all...
Half the problem seems to be they all have regular sized dreadnought type bodies, so they'll never move enough air to be heard over a loud acoustic guitar. The bridge is too far back to move the soundboard properly as well, presumably because the neck would be sticking out a mile if it was in the optimum position. I guess the problem with making anything much bigger than a dreadnought with a long scale is that you'd end up with something not much smaller than a DB, but without the flexibility and the kudos :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1318446304' post='1402354']
There is the Earthwood:

[/quote]
Ah! You beat me to it! When i read the OP i thought imediatly in it. I still want one but they don't come up much often and when they do they're not cheap! An alternative is to get a Mariachi bass:

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1318512291' post='1403131']
Ah! You beat me to it! When i read the OP i thought imediatly in it. I still want one but they don't come up much often and when they do they're not cheap! An alternative is to get a Mariachi bass:

[/quote]
Which I believe is called a guitarron.