Why become a member? ×

A Portrait of Jaco - Laurence Cottle Big Band gig

phil625sxc

[quote name='Mike' timestamp='1318425113' post='1401967']
I have splashed out on a table, and bringing my normally jazz-aloof wife. Big fan of LC, I predict it will be mind-blowing!
[/quote]

No don't say that, I so wish I could make it. Can't you just lie and say its going to be rubbish, it would make me feel so much better :)

This will be an immense gig - he's literally taking stuff like the exact transcription of Donna Lee but then adding full brass parts on different bits of it, likewise Used To Be A Cha Cha and loads of other stuff that's rarely played will be getting the full Cottle big band treatment... should be amazing

And re Laurie's general lack of self promo it's mainly because he doesn't really have to do it - he plays with Maceo P a lot at the moment, Pee Wee Ellis, Gareth Williams, Claire Martin, Mark Nightingale, and a bunch of others - he's a busy guy but really only plays under his own name with the big band. If you can see them you really will be blown away, the whole band are amazing but they have to be to play Laurie's charts, one trumpet player I know who plays with them said "it's a complete roast".

• 1 month later...

Flipping amazing gig - the best thing I've ever heard Laurence do - the band were incredible so was Laurie's playing, not to mention the fact he played all of Jaco's hardest tunes all in the same set - and they did two sets - plus his arrangements and newly written stuff was stunning - it really blew me away and they even did two encores - he told me afterwards he's never done two encores at Ronnie's in the 25 years he's played there.... awesome.