Why become a member? ×

New string breakage woes! Different brand needed!

aldude

So, I have recently obtained a shiny new (used) Aerodyne Jazz which is nice.

Bought a shiny new set of DR DDT (55-115) strings to go on there - they are great for my Ibanez SR's.

Put the E string on ... they seemed long, the fat bit went round the tuning peg a bit but I thought, these are standard, right? (The Aerodyne is 34")

Apparently not, as soon as I began to tighten there was a Ding! and the core snapped round the peg.

B*gger, I thought, but I have an old set of the same strings (used with no problems), and guess what happened as soon as I started to tighten the E string....

So, I wonder if anyone out there can help me in recommending me a different brand of strings, which are short enough for the Aerodyne! Decent quality preferred, I always liked DR DDTs. D'Addario nickels are OK but are a bit slippery. I need a nice heavy gauge too, 55-115 minimum.

Thanks!

I am a few weeks into a set of custom wound Newtone strings ( taper core on all strings and no wraps otherwise the Diamond series ). I haven't used the bass exclusively so this is just a feeling, but the strings haven't shown any marked tiredness soundwise.

Liking them very much. Not overly overly bright out of the box..but very constant and look superb as well.

I have all but given up on DR's and will commision more sets from Newtone... No doubt at all.

Just had the same problem with a set of new DDT's. Tuning top string up to pitch, and the core wire let go at the bridge end. Painful experience as well, as I had my hand over said string, gently plucking it as it came up to pitch :) was a 5 string set 45-125.

Different end of the bass to the OP's problem, but thought it worth a mention, as it was core wire failure too.

Might have to give the Newtones a go then. Got to buy some strings soon for C standard tuning :)

I have ordered some D'Addarios (custom set, 120-95-75-55), they haven't arrived yet but I am looking forward to replacing the old strings on the Aerodyne, fingers crossed no more breakages, these things are expensive! Not tried Newtones, but I can find the D'Addarios a bit slippery sometimes so I will look into them.

When I talked to Malcolm about custom sets, he said they could do anything and since both my basses are the same
config-wise, I asked for the winds over the bridge to be a bare taper core on all strings.

I would imagine he wouldn't be adverse to accomodating that sort of taper..not to the core, of course, for the bigger strings, up at the pegs. Build was 3-4 weeks which was fine with a bit of forward thinking and it sounds like they are busy...which is great.

I honestly do think these are my new DR handmade strings versions and they are made in the U.K.
Upto now, I can't fault them and with a bit of care..as you would with any strings, I hope.. they are lasting very well.

I'm a convert.