Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Large hole in my new T-45 - advice on repair please

Silverdog

Hi everyone (first post)

I just purchased a T-45 from ebay. The seller stated that there was a 'little' damage by the pick up that was repaired incorrectly and covered up by a sticker.

Anyway, when I removed the sticker, I wasn't really happy with what I found :) A big hole filled with a (still wet) gooey black paint mess.

So I dug all the crap out and cleaned the hole. Now my tears have dried, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a method of repair that I could complete myself to a reasonable standard.

2 photos are attached of the damage.

Also, there are quite a few dings on the back of the neck that are a bit rough. What is the best way to go about smoothing them over?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sam.

p.s. I love my new peavey baby!

Hi Sam,

The guy you bought it from had only just recently won it himself on Ebay so when his ad first appeared, I wondered what damage was underneath!?!? My advice would be to get a luthier to repair it properly because they can also sort out the neck for you at the same time, though it may cost a bit!

Quite how you then match the black finish I don't know, but the T45 is quite a rare beast in the UK and they're great basses if the T40s are anything to go by.. So, IMHO, it'd be well worth the investment. But it all depends on the time & money I suppose?

Anyway, good luck with it...

Nik

[quote name='Silverdog' post='161465' date='Mar 21 2008, 03:29 PM']thanks for the thoughts guys, I was hoping for a bit more DIY suggestions but hey ho.[/quote]

Filling the hole is relatively easy. It's restoring the finish that's the difficult part.

You could fill it with a wooden plug, or even just polyfilla but you'd then have to sand it all down to blend it in. After that you still have the problem of restoring the finish.

No easy answer for that I'm afraid.

[quote name='BOD2' post='161471' date='Mar 21 2008, 03:40 PM']Filling the hole is relatively easy. It's restoring the finish that's the difficult part.

You could fill it with a wooden plug, or even just polyfilla but you'd then have to sand it all down to blend it in. After that you still have the problem of restoring the finish.

No easy answer for that I'm afraid.[/quote]
+1

That's why I think a luthier is the best bet, though it won't be cheap...

[quote name='Silverdog' post='161465' date='Mar 21 2008, 03:29 PM']thanks for the thoughts guys, I was hoping for a bit more DIY suggestions but hey ho.

The screws are actually supposed to be black I think.

Thanks again.[/quote]

But the ones on the pickup surround are rusty :) I'd get them changed but I've found replacing guitar screws to be a nightmare.

Hi

I think that your bass has a panel on the reverse side (if I recall) , which these basses should not have (I have a T-40) coupled with the hole in the front suggests that the body is a bit messed up all round. I don't think any suggestion better than a pickguard see [url="http://pickguards.us/pricepeavey.html"]http://pickguards.us/pricepeavey.html[/url] -they should be able to make something for a T-45. I suppose the point is that if it sounds good and is suitable for playing - neck straight etc its not worth investing much money, particularly if there is damage on the neck, as something better will come up, and they are not THAT rare in the scheme of things.

If you are fairly handy you could easily repair this with automotive or good quality wood filler. The refin is then a case of getting good quailty auto touch up paint that matches exactly then building up in layers unitl you can wet and dry it flat and polish it.

The fact that you've asked for help 'suggests' that you may struggle with this. Whilst I agree a luthier would sort it for you, it may cost as much as the bass is worth.... Especially if they suggest a whole refin is the only way to go.

Your profile doesn't let us know where you are, which is a shame. If you were nearby I'd have a pop at it for you, I need a new project.

Again if it turned out 5hite I would make a pickguard for it, which I could do anyway but would need the whole bass to get the dimensions.

What problems do you have with teh neck?

I concur with the pickguard suggestion.

As for taking dings out of the neck, you could sand it down with 1000 grit, then perhaps give it a coat of oil if you have to sand it heavily enough to take the original finish off (I have no idea what the finish is on these basses).