Why become a member? ×

Advice needed, probably TL;DR

VoodooChilli

Hi guys I'm new

Been playing a couple of years. Got a cheap Cort Curbow which I do like, but I'd like something with a bit more punch (and something that doesn't eat 9V batteries), and a nearly completely dead 100W Carlsbro Viper (got it second hand for 50 quid a year back, but I think it's about to pack in alltogether) I also muck about with an ME-50B multi effects board I got fairly cheap which is still in good nick, can't discredit it's reliablity given some of the beatings and beer spills it's taken.

I'm looking to get some new gear in and really start taking my playing seriously. Any advice with instrument and amps (and effects pedals maybe)? I've been saving for a while for nothing inparticular (but I've come to love my bass playing and want to put the cash towards that), and have a budget of £1000.

In terms of sound, I'm hoping to develop my own style but my influences include (but aren't limited to) Claypool, Bootsy and Louis Johnson.

Curious about good practice routines and such to. I do practice daily, but tend just to pick my bass up and play for an hour or so, with no real structure.

Thanks in advance folks, and apologise for the brackets (I like brackets)

Peace.

You can get some very nice gear for £1000. You need to try out lots of different bass and amp combinations until you find something you like, then follow the For Sale forums on here. You can get some real bargains, and most BassChatters are a pleasure to deal with.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='VoodooChilli' timestamp='1317575144' post='1391929']
(I like brackets)[/quote]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WALL-MOUNT-GUITAR-BRACKET-HOME-WORK-STUDIO-BAND-GROUP-/260847766412?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cbbbd0b8c
There you go then ,but you just said yourself you're looking for a bass to put on it. :)

Question Time :)

What basses/amps have you tried and liked?

In an amp what is most important:
Lightweight (e.g. you live up 4 flights of stairs like me)
Space saving (e.g. you have a small car)

Would you prefer head and cab separate or together in a combo.

Separates can be much easier to upgrade but will usually cost you more in the short term.

How loud does it need to be?

At the moment it sounds like your amp is the weakest link so I would concentrate on upgrading that first :) IIRC there was a line6 300pro on here, they're fantastic amps (hugely underrated) but not light at around 90lbs

Good luck in your search and welcome to BC :)

It seems you need to upgarde everything...??

So, split £1000 like this.

Spend £400 on here and get the best bass you can for that money. The rest put towards a decent combo.
Or spend more on the bass and get a TE combo off e-bay. TE might be road worn and have done some miles but bang for buck...as good as it gets ..if half decent, IMO.