Why become a member? ×

Can you tell what it is yet??

TheGreek

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1322322128' post='1449382']
So, what does it play/sound like then? :)
[/quote]

Still finding my way thru the sound/tones - on the bridge p/up it's got that 70s/80s soul "Cappucinno" sound which is what I was after - on the bridge p/up it's more potent..deeper and more "in your face" - in combo you can extract an almost fretless sound - not sure what effect the Cocobola fretboard or the chambered body are having on this..also need to take into consideration that the pre-amp is from a Marcus Miller jazz...I'm yet to settle on a sound but I've got the rest of the afternoon/evening to get my head around this.

Playability - weighs about the same a 3 feathers (maybe a bit less) - feels really well balanced (surprisingly) - neck is finished with oil rather than Nitro Cellulose - a bit smelly at the moment because of the oil but this should mellow over time - a friend was round this afternoon, trying out various basses, has just left - kept saying that "this is a really nice neck" - J type profile..really nice smooth finish...The headless bridge has tuners which pull out to make tuning easier (don't think they have this on Steinbergers - do they?)

As with all new gear it's taking a bit of time to get used to..going to have a bite to eat then I'm going to pick it up again..

The only change I would make is the colour of the bridge - to gold..

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headless-Bass-Electric-Guitar-Bridge-Gold-New-/390366048117?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5ae3a12f75#ht_755wt_1257"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headless-Bass-Electric-Guitar-Bridge-Gold-New-/390366048117?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5ae3a12f75#ht_755wt_1257[/url]

• 3 months later...

Some more up to date photos..when I say "more up to date" I mean from earlier this year..

Non musicians comment on the beauty of the wood grain and the range of colours..really has to be seen to be fully appreciated..

[attachment=101854:basses in the snow 007.JPG]

[attachment=101855:basses in the snow 008.JPG]

The neck is slimmer than a J profile - everybody who's played it comments on how super slim/fast it is..the smell has mellowed and your hands nolonger smell of Linseed Oil after playing. The overall weight is about 9LBs but the headless system does affect the balance and takes a bit of getting used to - it is less noticeable on a strap.

My favourite tone is the "woody" fretless tone - Truckstop had commented on this when he played it..Nick Smith really liked it and gave the bass his usual once over...

The Headless system takes single ball strings, has pull out tuners for ease of use and like most other systems rarely goes out of tune..hopefully be bringing this along to the SE Bass Bash if it's on later this year..if you're there you'll be welcome to try it..