Why become a member? ×

Eternal Guitars Custom Build "Prototype" - PJ Relic UPDATE 13/10/11

chriswilliams666

[b]History...blah, blah, blah.[/b]
I've been working with and promoting Eternal Guitars for a short while now, and I've finally commisioned myself a bass. Also the first in the Eternal Roster.

Dave (Owner/Sole Builder) has made and sold around 25 guitars in the past year all around the £1500-£1600 mark up and down the country. Although only recently trading as Eternal Guitars, Dave has been a luthier and repairer since the late 80s and secured and apprenticeship down Denmark Street. He now focuses on Eternal Guitars, and has a regular slot writing for Guitar and Bass Magazine.

Being in the music retail industry I've seen (and Sold!) many Fenders and relic'd guitars, however Eternal Guitars are something else. I didn't need to think twice about getting one, once I decided what I wanted.

If anyone is interested. The Eternal website is [url="http://www.eternal-guitars.com"]www.eternal-guitars.com[/url] or on [url="http://www.facebook.com/EternalGuitars"]Facebook[/url] - I'm reliably informed theres a new website on the way, following some exciting news.

[b]Plan[/b]
As with most people who commision guitars, I wanted THE bass, of all basses. Everything has to be what I want, no compromise. This bass will combine all my favourite aspects of my basses i've had in the past.

It has to be lightweight and balanced. I want to be able to use this bass as much as possible, on the long and short gigs for various styles of music (but mainly for my Duff-esque, low slung, pick plucking punk style)

[b]Facts[/b][list]
[*]I LOVE the mixed PJ sound I get from my Duff Basses, and my Aerodyne.
[*]I rarely use the selector switch so thats not needed.
[*]I miss my Laklands neck, so it has to be that shape and style with the blocks and binding.
[*]I use a wireless and change basses quite a lot in shows so i need a jack socket (same as all my others) on the side, unlike most P-Basses.
[/list]
[b]Spec[/b]
[list]
[*]PJ Custom
[*]P-Type Body with J-Rout in Bridge
[*]Olympic White OVER 3-Tone Sunburst
[*]Nitro Cellulose Finish
[*]Light Relic
[*]C-Shape Neck
[*]Medium Jumbo Frets
[*]Fretboard Pearloid Blocks
[*]White Neck Binding
[*]9.5" Radius
[*]Rosewood Fingerboard
[*]34" Scale Length
[*]Phillips Heel Truss Rod Adjustment
[*]Chrome Neckplate
[*]Seymour Duncan STK-J2b Bridge Pickup
[*]Fender 57/62 Original P-Bass Pickup
[*]Volume, Volume, Tone Controls
[*]Gotoh GEB-201 Chrome Bridge
[*]Hand Cut Bone Nut
[*]Mint Pickguard
[*]Gotoh GB11 Chrome Machine Heads
[*]Eternal Aged Knurled Chrome Knobs
[*]Side Mount Jack Socket
[*]Flush-Mount Dunlop Strap Locks
[/list]
Will add more exciting pics as I get them. Hopefully not phone pics...

Before I decided on the J Pickup...
[attachment=90365:PJbass.JPG]

After the decision was made, and sealer applied.

Edited by chriswilliams666

The finish mimics the look of a factory ‘refinished’ guitar. With the usual wear and tear of playing, this solid colour top coat would begin to fade or rub off revealing the original finish beneath and this is the look we’re going to recreate with this bass.

It was common in the ‘60s for a stock sunburst finished guitar to be sprayed over in a solid colour - usually in the factory during production if a custom colour order came in. If there were finished sunburst bodies ready to go (the stock colour of the time) then it was simpler and faster to grab one off the rack and spray straight over the sealed sunburst finish than to start from scratch.

Instruments would also be returned to the factory for a refin in a different colour after purchase and of course many were refinished later in the guitars life after many years of use – usually before anyone realised the potential future value would be affected. Subsequently, many vintage guitars that are dismissed as ‘refinished’ and devalued were actually colour coated before they ever left the factory so are in fact as original as any sunburst models.

To see a T-Type with a similar finish, click here http://www.eternal-guitars.com/?page_id=33 and scroll down the page…

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1317917652' post='1396250']
Is it going to have a Fender logo? Do eternal guitars add do Fender logo's?
[/quote]
I don't want a fender logo on mine, and Eternal have their own logo with a familier style.

Although I'm sure the headstock could be left empty on the front, and you could obtain a Fender logo yourself and add one.

[quote name='chriswilliams666' timestamp='1317712778' post='1393463']
The finish mimics the look of a factory ‘refinished’ guitar. With the usual wear and tear of playing, this solid colour top coat would begin to fade or rub off revealing the original finish beneath and this is the look we’re going to recreate with this bass.

It was common in the ‘60s for a stock sunburst finished guitar to be sprayed over in a solid colour - usually in the factory during production if a custom colour order came in. If there were finished sunburst bodies ready to go (the stock colour of the time) then it was simpler and faster to grab one off the rack and spray straight over the sealed sunburst finish than to start from scratch.

Instruments would also be returned to the factory for a refin in a different colour after purchase and of course many were refinished later in the guitars life after many years of use – usually before anyone realised the potential future value would be affected. Subsequently, many vintage guitars that are dismissed as ‘refinished’ and devalued were actually colour coated before they ever left the factory so are in fact as original as any sunburst models.

To see a T-Type with a similar finish, click here [url="http://www.eternal-guitars.com/?page_id=33"]http://www.eternal-g...com/?page_id=33[/url] and scroll down the page…
[/quote]
Yeah, from what I've read the custom finishes were often sprayed over bursts that didn't work out quite right. Apparently this was one of Leo's ideas to keep the costs down - a rejected sunburst has had all the prep work done on it so instead of sanding it right back and starting again, why not just spray another colour over the top? Especially sweet when someone's paying extra for a custom colour.

So, I'm afraid your reliced P won't look as authentic as you thought it would, the sunburst underneath is just too well done :)

you've made 3 mistakes with this :)

1: I would of put a Badass II on it instead of the bridge you've chosen
2: I would of had the jack input mounted on the pickguard
3: I wouldn't of had a tone control so it would of just been 2 volumes and the jack input on the plate

Apart from that, I want it :) haha

*edit* make that 4, NO RELICING! Leave it as it is. It's so gorgeous like it is.

Edited by StevieD_FenderP2009

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' timestamp='1318105111' post='1398223']
you've made 3 mistakes with this :)

1: I would of put a Badass II on it instead of the bridge you've chosen
2: I would of had the jack input mounted on the pickguard
3: I wouldn't of had a tone control so it would of just been 2 volumes and the jack input on the plate

Apart from that, I want it :) haha

*edit* make that 4, NO RELICING! Leave it as it is. It's so gorgeous like it is.
[/quote]
Dont worry the relic work isn't gonna be a lot. I've asked for a light ageing. Although there will be a bit of wear on the contour to show the sunburst. To follow up on your other points...

1. I wanted a bridge that looked a bit more traditional then a BadAss, plus they cost the earth! haha :)
2. I have a wireless pack for my rig with a right angled jack. I just find that gets in the way. All my other basses have it on the side, so made sense.
3. I don't actually use the Tone Control, however I have a TBX in my other PJ basses. This bass will probably be used for showcasing and a review so we thought the tone control would be more commercial for now, however I may change it for a TBX later on.

If you want one, feel free to send me or [email protected] your custom spec and we'll price it up for you ;-)