Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a pre-amp

TheGreek

I'm looking for an onboard pre-amp for a possible future project - anybody have any experience that they can share as to what I should be looking for and where to source the items?? Somebody recommended an Audere unit but there are several - which one??

I already got an MEC jazz P/up - similar to those fitted to Warwicks - and an Artec MMstyle Humbucker (cheap off eBay) - how suitable are these and opinions on whether I should use these..

thanks in advance..

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1316978285' post='1385143']
....I already got an MEC jazz P/up - similar to those fitted to Warwicks - and an Artec MMstyle Humbucker (cheap off eBay) - how suitable are these and opinions on whether I should use these..

thanks in advance..
[/quote]
It's all well and good hearing what other people like with their setups but before you go shelling out on a pre (especially on the ones you are going to be recommended on here - already we have had about the 3 most expensive ones name-checked) I'd personally put those 2 pups in a bass together and work out first how well matched they are, then whether there are any characteristics you'd like to enhance or remove. Then ask your question.

I have to recommend an East preamp. I've had many great preamps in basses in the past (Kubicki, Alembic and Bartolini spring to mind) but the item in my ACG is just incredible. Okay, it's not the most immediate item if you're used to traditional boost/cut tone sculpting, but once you've got to grips with it I could not name a better system. They sound absolutely amazing, and are incrediblyversatile too, whilst never losing their character.

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' timestamp='1316994588' post='1385354']
I have MEC J pups on my Corvette and I installed a Seymour Duncan 2 band EQ into it. Sounds great and I picked the pre-amp up off here for a pretty awesome price (about £100 less than a John East). Only thing that I would do differently would be to get the 3 band if possible
[/quote]
Them Duncan pre-amps are heavily underrated, sweet stuff.

I have 3 band parametric preamps by Klaus Noll on my main instruments (and paid full retail for them, I'll add). However inspite of my preference for Noll, I still think you should start with an East preamp mainly because you have an odd pickup choice with potentially different impedances and outputs. The individually variable gain controls and input buffers mean the East circuit can be used with pretty much any combination of pickups so would be an insurance policy. The frequency centres are located at useful points as well (at least for the MM +midshift circuit that I have). Klaus can do input buffers as well but they'd be additional to the standard circuit.

I've had Seymour Duncans in my Spector too, they were a little raw sounding for what I was looking for but that could have been down to the bass as much as anything else. The Wizards are pretty sweet though.

+1K for J. East.

I haven't tried a broad range of onboard pre-amps but have used Artec and J. East before now. I have actually had 3 fitted in my Fender P-Bass Lyte in the last month or so. The stock Fender one sounded ok but one of the pots and/or pcb didn't work so I replaced it (against advice on here, I should add) with a cheap Artec SE-2. It sounded much the same as the stock one and I felt the bass had more in it.

Anyway - just this morning I fitted a 4 knob version of the 5 knob J. East U retro that I bought from silddx (who had it made specially) and am still grinning. Whatever sounds are available from the bass have been articulated in a way that is beyond my dreams. Incredible. Rehearsal tonight and I can hardly wait to try it at that kind of volume.