Why become a member? ×

Memory lane and back ache.....

stingrayPete1977

So the Trace Elliot commando combo that I use most weeks at practice belonging to the multi instrumentalist front man has gone from one thump on top to three thumps per practice to keep noise bursting from it's 15" speaker (I think it's a 15" and I have no idea what wattage it is, it does not say anywhere?) I decided to take it home to sort it and service it for him (me :) ) and feck me I'd forgotten what a lump of a combo was like! I've had a Peavey TNT that weighed more than the earth and an Ashdown ABM combo with an extension cab before the Genz-Benz rig. I'd genuinely forgotten just how awkward big combos are, I will never go back no way Jose! :)

This is all.

MarkBass CMD151, great on its own or with 104 cab sounds a dream, and one in each hand for get-in/out. I used to tour with TE AH400 with 410 and 115, needed its own truck and crew. Before that I had an old "quilted" Kustomsound head with a 2 x 15 fender cab, which was the heaviest but best sounding rig i ever had, but it eventually shook itself apart!

+1 to never go back to big/heavy!

I think the Commando might be a 12". I still use a TE 1x15 combo in my rig. Used to link it up with a TE 4X10 but it got to be a literal pain getting up flights of narrow stairs in some venues, switched to SWR 2x10 instead. Not the same vsual impact but sounds pretty much the same with less hassle moving it.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1316774493' post='1382623']
My first proper amp was a Commando. It was a 15",although I think they made a 12" too,and they were 100 watts.
[/quote]
And my first proper amp was a 12" Commando. The amp blew a few years ago (after about 10 years of service) but I still use the speaker.

As a recent convert to lighter gear, I hears ya !!!!!!
Decided not to go for super light cabs ( can still carry both simoultaneously a short distance, and didn't want to wait a few weeks to A/B the SL's against my chosen DB's given my previous bad neo experiences ) but the amp is just daft light and sounds immense. Loving it!!
S

I have just given this big lump of a Trace a strip down and clean, The mains input terminals were blackened so Im hoping that the emery cloth treatment has sorted the fault, Servisol'd it in every nook and cranny, blew it all out with my air line, removed the grill and hoovered the speaker, cleaned it all down and treated the casing to a dose of flash dash (cherry scent :) ) and tightened every screw possible including the feet. The green Trace logo is glistening too!, Shame it will look the same after he has had it back for 6 months :)

Its made in Great Britain according to the back panel, I presumed it was a far eastern made thing.