Why become a member? ×

Rockbass corvette $$ by Warwick

markmonk42

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1316774714' post='1382626']
Did you say 'Warwick' and 'appreciate in value' in the same post :-)

I absolutely agree about thinking of a basses value when i buy it, and maybe i'm off topic here, but i don't think my Korean bass will devalue to a point that i'll be annoyed.

Anyway, it's Friday, so lets all have a happy bass weekend

Graeme

ps..DC2009 - Your new Corvette is a stunner mateYe
[/quote]

hehe cheers, Graeme. Stuck in a hostel in Helsinki at the moment, can;t wait to get home on Sunday and play her, it's been too long!

I sort of see where you're coming from, I guess if a £450 Warwick RB later gets sold on for £350, you're probably going to be alright about it, :)
I hope Warwicks appreciate in value, but perhaps the UK market is just too small for that to happen, they're a bit better thought of in the US so maybe it'll happen over there (though their current prices are even lower than ours :))

Happy bass weekend to all,
Dan

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1316767920' post='1382484']
That one guy is me, and this is exactly my point... you said it yourself..second hand GERMAN ones...am i misisng something, was my KOREAN Warwick not a good purchase at £450? I've now had the opportunity to A/B it with a GERMAN corvette...same spec.....guess what...no difference.

All i'm saying is, don't discount a second hand KOREAN Warwick.

I'm off for a lie down. Sorry for the rant.
[/quote]
A relevant point here is that there are lots of 2nd hand German Warwicks for sale, but I've not seen a single 2nd hand Korean Warwick yet. That's hardly surprising because the Korean Ws only appeared a year or two back, but it does mean that it don't make a lot of sense to recommend someone buy a 2nd hand Korean Warwick! I think that's why Dan was purely phrasing things in terms of new RB vs s/h German.

From what I've heard the quality of the Korean Warwicks is very comparable with the German ones. I've not played a Korean one, so I can't say for myself. But there is certainly a lot of snobbery out there, which means that 2nd hand values on a Korean bass (be it Warwick, or any other manufacturer) will tend to stay lower than on a German bass (or American, or British...) There may be no good reason for this, and the more people that point out how good some of the Korean stuff is, the less such snobbery there'll be. But it'll never go away completely.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1316787060' post='1382925']
From what I've heard the quality of the Korean Warwicks is very comparable with the German ones. I've not played a Korean one, so I can't say for myself. But there is certainly a lot of snobbery out there, which means that 2nd hand values on a Korean bass (be it Warwick, or any other manufacturer) will tend to stay lower than on a German bass (or American, or British...) There may be no good reason for this, and the more people that point out how good some of the Korean stuff is, the less such snobbery there'll be. But it'll never go away completely.
[/quote]

This. I'm going to hold my hand up and say I've never owned a Fender - I've played plenty, and had a few on trials at band practices etc, just never owned one - now FWIW I'm looking to buy in the next few years, a Fender J (or similar), and as a result I always look at them on the FS section/ebay/gumtree. Now I know from the ones I've played along with what a whole bunch of people on here have said, the MIJ basses are the pick of the bunch. Now given they can be had for a shade over the cost of a MIM bass, and £200+ less than an MIA bass, I think that perfectly highlights the snobbery that mart has alluded to as well. I know I'm going to get myself an MIJ J (most likely), because the MIA ones are not worth the extra, despite the fact they have high prices because Americans buy American, as we all know. With Warwicks it is similar, though of course the prices and models do differ.

That was a bit long winded, but you get the idea :)

As for the thread starter, as I said before, it very much depends on his financial situation. If he is fluid enough to not be particularly bothered about what will most likely be a 50% depreciation on his bass, but does very much want a new bass and not a pre-owned one, then the RB suits him. Unfortunately, the vast majority of us can not call ourselves the former and can very rarely justify the latter. :) The other big factor, which is probably the biggest one of them all is to buy the one he prefers playing!

Hey guys! I tried out a Corvette $$ four string today and have come back a little uninspired... It could one of a few factors; the strings were a really heavy gauge as i like light ones (30-90) am not sure if the TC electronic combo it was going through was muffling the sound of the bass or if its was because it was a China made rock bass. I went along to the shop today thinking it would sound like the clip below? Could it be that the clip below was recorded using a Korean built bass? Again guys I'd really appreciate some advice.... Thanks in advance to one and all ! Mark.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdXeI3V5igA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdXeI3V5igA&feature=related[/url]

Hi Mark,

Sounds like there's a lot of factors in play here. Not sure which shop you went to, but always ask if you can get put through your amp, or at least an amp you are familiar with so that you know how to set it up as you like is what I would say. I'm also not 100% sure of the differences between the Chinese and the Korean RB models, but I can't imagine they would be too different. IMO, if you had either bass, set it up as that guy has done in that video, then had the same amp and set that up the same way, you wouldn't be sat here feeling uninspired!

Looking at the Warwick website, it looks like the old Korean RB making facility has started producing their Artist and Pro series, and that a Chinese facility is now making the RBs. There will definitely be some construction method differences between the two factories, and perhaps some differences in the actual bass spec, but I don't think it would be by a lot, but perhaps getting your hands on a second hand, Korean made RB model would confirm that for you (don't think you'll find a brand new one if they don't make them anymore).

If you play string gauges [i]that[/i] light then I think you will struggle to get an idea of how your bass will feel when playing heavy gauge strings.
String gauge and type will also affect the sound, and whatever that guy has will be different to the shop and probably what you want on your bass too! It was also all slap, which is difficult to gauge, as a lot of that could be done with an amp EQ setting. I really advise getting your teeth into a german $$ if you can, as it will help you see the differences, especially in the wood selection, and how you feel about those differences, I'm sure anyone selling one on here will be happy to let you try theirs! I'd get you to try mine, but it's a 5 string and made out of completely different woods so perhaps not suitable lol :)

Hope that helps, please feel free to ask any more questions you might have,
Dan

The bass in that clip is a Chinese Rockbass. I'm pretty sure that Rockbasses have always been made in China; it's only recently that Warwick have started producing any basses in Korea, and these are to a much higher level than the Chinese models. But I think the Korean issue is a red herring here - it is definitely a Chinese bass in the video.

So I think the problem is partly, as Dan says, the choice of amp. But I suspect also the strings would have been brand new on that video bass, and maybe much older on the bass you played.

But +1 to the idea of saving up for a German $$, especially since there are so many good ones for sale on this forum!

Hey guys,

To clarify, there is no such thing as a Korean RockBass.

Rockbass models have always been Chinese.

In 2009 they introduced the Pro-Series Corvette Standard (Made in Korea) and stopped making it in Germany.
In 2010/11 They brought in the new RockBass series, now built in a different Chinese Facility to the old ones but now have the 2 piece bridge, different finishes etc.

I have played every Pro-Series and new RockBass and personally i dig the RockBass models and for a good price they are great buys. The Korean range now includes a Thumb, Streamer and StarBass (As well as the Artist stuff) I only played the StarBass and Corvette but these are both great as well.

There is no Korean $$.

[quote name='markmonk42' timestamp='1317215385' post='1388173']
Guys! Just ordered me a rockbass corvette $$ for £510, including a gig bag, not a bad deal I'd say!!! Will post pics once she is delivered... Cheers, mark.
[/quote]
:)

Well, you can't say we didn't try to help you.

I bet it is black isn't it?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1317238431' post='1388594']
I still can't understand your decision mate, but I hope you love it.
[/quote]
Well I can't understand someone who sold two beautiful German Warwicks and bought a Fender which he then sold only a few months later :)

That's life I suppose :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1317241248' post='1388641']
Well I can't understand someone who sold two beautiful German Warwicks and bought a Fender which he then sold only a few months later :o

That's life I suppose :)
[/quote]
:) You're quite right! Put it down to a healthy and highly attractive dose of capriciousness that has come full circle and resulted in a chrome Warwick Streamer being delivered on Saturday :)

Thank you, Marvin, for keeping my feet on the ground, and reminding me that for all the good sense one speaks, the opposite is often true of one's behaviour! I wish the OP the best with his new bass :o

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1317460631' post='1390874']
Let's see what this goes for [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200655858781?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2196wt_93"]http://www.ebay.co.u...49#ht_2196wt_93[/url]
[/quote]

Sounds like Bullseye, "and here's what you could have won". :)