Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird, what are they like?

deanbean502

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1319490816' post='1414936']

Not having a go at you or anyone with this post but it's a good point for me to point out that i never dissed Gibson or the Thunderbird, in fact i complimented the sound! I just stated my experience but i did not say that the basses were bad, that i disliked them or that Gibson made bad instruments, though i did have some experience to share which i felt relevent.

And glad you're happy with yours! I'm not a big enough T'bird fan to go for a Gibson one but i've toyed with the idea of an Epiphone one, and you're not helping :lol:I don't really have an extra £200-£500 to spend and i have a list of 30 things in that price range to throw money at haha!
[/quote]

No, I didn't post for a row, I just wanted to give a balance of opinion, and I respect yours, which you are perfectly entitled too. Before my purchase I had only had P Basses, and I searched long and hard in making the decision to buy. I actually did not want to like the TBird, just so I could say, Ha! P Basses are the best. I spent the best part of an afternoon in the shop with the Tbird up against a 60th Anniversary PBass, both played thru Mark Bass, then Orange... just plucking the A string on both and listening. The shop suggested I bring my own rig down, and I nearly did! I then went away to think for 2 weeks whether I could justify spending that amount of money, but she was still there when I went back.

My feeling is the PBass is like Church Bells ringing, whereas the Tbird is a Grand Piano

Also looked at the Epi Pro, and was very taken with a natural oil one, for the money they are spot on, very good value. But worth the extra for the Gibson? Two different things, like comparing apples and oranges, but a purchase like a TBird has to come from the heart.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1319472771' post='1414561']

Hmm, i'm a "TROLL" am I? For giving my experiences, when I also have 1064 (at time of writing posts and that's 1253 including "off topic" and i'm pretty sure i've never been a "TROLL" their either) to my name and i'm sure many members will tell you I don't "TROLL". Including a Moderator or two.

Not to mention another user (sorry to drag you into this retroman) has has similar experiences.

Last i heard of the bass it had been returned to the owner a week before he moved from Aberdeen but that was a few years back so it could be anywhere. Sorry i don't know the exact where abouts of an instrument i played once for half an hour a few years back which belonged to a friends Uncle but if i'd know this exact thread would have come up at this exact point i'd have insured to take the serial number and keep in touch. Seems i dropped the ball, my bad.

Edit: Spelling, content, language[/quote]

Hey, I didn't mean any offense, it just seemed (IMO) that you commented to slate the thunderbird than anything positive, which is fine as your entitled to it, just abit TROLL'ish in my view :)
Thanks for the custom shop details, I thought it may had been up for grabs but I shall continue my adventure for one ^_^
Take it easy bro and sorry for any mis-haps, lol.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1319491971' post='1414951']

No, I didn't post for a row, I just wanted to give a balance of opinion, and I respect yours, which you are perfectly entitled too. Before my purchase I had only had P Basses, and I searched long and hard in making the decision to buy. I actually did not want to like the TBird, just so I could say, Ha! P Basses are the best. I spent the best part of an afternoon in the shop with the Tbird up against a 60th Anniversary PBass, both played thru Mark Bass, then Orange... just plucking the A string on both and listening. The shop suggested I bring my own rig down, and I nearly did! I then went away to think for 2 weeks whether I could justify spending that amount of money, but she was still there when I went back.

My feeling is the PBass is like Church Bells ringing, whereas the Tbird is a Grand Piano

Also looked at the Epi Pro, and was very taken with a natural oil one, for the money they are spot on, very good value. But worth the extra for the Gibson? Two different things, like comparing apples and oranges, but a purchase like a TBird has to come from the heart.
[/quote]

Oh yeah i completely understand i wasn't having a go at anyone i was just pointing it out as it seems people mis understood my post!

A thunderbird through an orange rig sounds like a building being torn down, EPIC! Heard a few bands live like that and the bass has so much growl it's beautiful!

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1319494820' post='1414994']
Hey, I didn't mean any offense, it just seemed (IMO) that you commented to slate the thunderbird than anything positive, which is fine as your entitled to it, just abit TROLL'ish in my view :)
Thanks for the custom shop details, I thought it may had been up for grabs but I shall continue my adventure for one ^_^
Take it easy bro and sorry for any mis-haps, lol.
[/quote]

Well judging by the posts i knew (for the most part from what i could tell) that all the posters were and are Thunderbird fans, and i was sharing my view, i did also say i think they are great sounding basses, other than saying i found two dissapointing quality ones i never said anything against the bass what so over, i only complimented it!

A "TROLL" is someone who disagrees and intentionally starts arguements on forums or comment sections and disagrees to all comments, insults and does not respect internet conduct, I feel we do not see eye to eye on a certain point (which i seem to be missing, but that is neither here nor there)

But thank you for your words, maybe it's because i'm having a bad week i'm being a grouch :)

if you find a nice example of a Gibbo Custom Shop T'bird (the older ones especially i've found) are mighty basses, though the older generation necks never suited me, and the newer ones sound too different to my ears to be as appealing, maybe one day i'll find the correct cross over era one for me!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1319564576' post='1415887']

But thank you for your words, maybe it's because i'm having a bad week i'm being a grouch :)

if you find a nice example of a Gibbo Custom Shop T'bird (the older ones especially i've found) are mighty basses, though the older generation necks never suited me, and the newer ones sound too different to my ears to be as appealing, maybe one day i'll find the correct cross over era one for me![/quote]

Lol I know of TROLLs, it's ok, I just mistaken you for one but maybe we were both abit of a grouch? :)
Water under the bridge anyway, you seem a cool guy :)

I believe that you have to keep searching and trying different models until you find the one for you, after all, every piece of wood is different.
I have tried a few of the standard selection and I can see what you mean by the necks, they do collect abit of grime and sweat but ive never experienced this as they're pretty clean and out of the box condition, my own I look after and clean often.

I agree some epi's could kick the sh*t outa the Gibson versions but I look towards the foreseeable future and think which I'd be happier with and which is going to last, hence a few gibsons in my arsenal and my eye out for a custom shop.

I think they should have brought back the Studio basses instead of the short scale, which seem to be sitting on the shelves collecting dust!
Anyone make much of these shorter scales?

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1319599948' post='1416244']
Lol I know of TROLLs, it's ok, I just mistaken you for one but maybe we were both abit of a grouch? :o
Water under the bridge anyway, you seem a cool guy :)

I believe that you have to keep searching and trying different models until you find the one for you, after all, every piece of wood is different.
I have tried a few of the standard selection and I can see what you mean by the necks, they do collect abit of grime and sweat but ive never experienced this as they're pretty clean and out of the box condition, my own I look after and clean often.

I agree some epi's could kick the sh*t outa the Gibson versions but I look towards the foreseeable future and think which I'd be happier with and which is going to last, hence a few gibsons in my arsenal and my eye out for a custom shop.

[/quote]

Haha yes indeed! And you too :)

Though why would you be interested in my Mum? She's a hag! :)

In response to the mention of Custom Shop Thunderbirds,

I contacted Gibson a few months ago looking to get a slightly different finish, nothing difficult or fancy.

The official response from them was that the Gibson Custom Shop won't do basses. At all. Ever.

[quote name='Bankai' timestamp='1319649711' post='1416902']
In response to the mention of Custom Shop Thunderbirds,

I contacted Gibson a few months ago looking to get a slightly different finish, nothing difficult or fancy.

The official response from them was that the Gibson Custom Shop won't do basses. At all. Ever.
[/quote]

The one i played was one which in it's past life was a back up for a Gibson Artist. Wouldn't surprise me though, another user on here i'm pretty sure asked them to do something and they said they'd do it for a greatly hiked price, and wouldn't put Gibson on the headstock, can't remember if that was a bass or not, assuming it's a guitar though.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1319649171' post='1416895']

Haha yes indeed! And you too :)

Though why would you be interested in my Mum? She's a hag! :)[/quote]

Because my mum never loved me :'( lol

[quote name='Bankai' timestamp='1319649711' post='1416902']In response to the mention of Custom Shop Thunderbirds,

The official response from them was that the Gibson Custom Shop won't do basses. At all. Ever.[/quote]

That sucks, wasn't that long ago they had a custom shop bass, was it?
P's me off as they hardly make that many basses anyway in comparrison to guitars and most probably and circulate in the states, yet, after looking on Musicians Friend, they'll make explorer basses n' all?
*deep sigh* ("(-.-)