Why become a member? ×

John Player Special

mr zed

Folks,

sorry about the topic title :)

looking for some help. I currently own 3 basses (jazz, precision and stingray - JPS). I play in a covers band and each of these basses sits in nicely with the band. Each one has its own individual tone (the jazz has a great all round sound, the Stingray adds some bite and has a great slap tone and the precision adds depth. Which bass I take to each rehersal/gig however depends upon my mood at the time. It would be nice to be able to get all three tones throughout the couse of a gig with just one bass. I'm not taking all three basses out with me as:
[list=1]
[*]I can't be arsed lugging 3 basses around and
[*]i'd look a bit of a tw@ changing basses through a set to get the 'right' tone
[/list]

So I was thinking, is there a bass out there that can give me all three tones that I can tweak to suit i.e. a JPS bass? The material the band plays ranges from Vampire Weekend to Red Hot Chilli Peppers along with all sorts inbetween (Green Day, Stereophonics, Muse, Killers, Jam). I would like a 'traditional' looking bass - nothing pointy.

Doing a bit of research, a stingray 4HH seems to fit the bill, but i've not yet had the opportunity to try one. Are there any 4HH players out there that can tell me if one of these basses would provide the solution? I've tried a couple of Sandbergs which have really nice necks but don't quite hit the spot (for me) as far as the tone is concerned.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Sandberg California PM? The Humbucker won't do "Stingray" on its own 'cause it's too far back, but blend some of the p into it to give it a bit more depth and guts and you get a sweet MM tone! Obviously it nails the p tone and you can get a lovely slap tone by blending the pickups about 50/50 and boosting the treble a bit.

Looks traditional and it's cheap for a hand built, quality instrument (especially second hand!)