Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1984 Wal Mk1 Fretless. Something Special.

phsycoandy

I'm selling some basses on behalf of a friend who is thinning his herd.

First up:

A stunning January 1984 Wal Fretless. Serial number is 2263 and comes with mint condition Original Wal Hard Case.

Padouke Facings, Mahogany core with lined Indian Rosewood board. I've seen some beautiful Wal's in my days but not with a top like this one.

A few very light marks on the back, front is mint. Weighs 11lbs 5 ozs.

£3000 plus insured shipping at cost. Or can be collected from Ipswich area.

Edited by phsycoandy

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1316729558' post='1382209']

Which would suggest it's been de-fretted, I guess?
[/quote]
Im seeing the guy tomorrow I will check with him, I believe it was an option to have the side dots in either position.

[quote name='phsycoandy' timestamp='1316729670' post='1382214']
Im seeing the guy tomorrow I will check with him, I believe it was an option to have the side dots in either position.
[/quote]

I didn't realise that - thanks for the clarification. No real surprise when you think about it, I suppose. Being handmade it would have been as easy to do it either way and I'd think players coming to fretless from fretted basses might have felt more comfortable with dots in what they might have thought of as the 'normal' (i.e. between the lines) position. Thanks.

My fretless Wal is unlined and has the dots at the fret positions - it was normal I believed for lined fretless Wals to have the dots in the between-frets positions. Hence this isn't a pointer to this instrument having been de-fretted in my view.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1316759342' post='1382371']
My fretless Wal is unlined and has the dots at the fret positions - it was normal I believed for lined fretless Wals to have the dots in the between-frets positions. Hence this isn't a pointer to this instrument having been de-fretted in my view.
[/quote]
Indeed that was my understanding I will check today as mentioned.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1316759342' post='1382371']
[/quote]

No not true. There are some fretless Wals with the dots between the fret lines. My Pro also has it like that and I have seen a few others with the dots like that too. But they are just more rare.