Why become a member? ×

Low tension magnetic strings

BobVbass

Hello, as some of you may know I play in a 50s rock & roll band, use a mag pickup and regularly do 3 hour sets and all that jazz or errm rock and roll.. :)

Anyway I currently use a Spiro Weichs, mixture of slap and pizz (mostly pizz) and generally get blisters every gig and practice even after two years or so - sometimes I get away with it, mostly not!

So is there a lower tension magnetic string I coud try? I don't want to go the piezo route, been there got fed up with the feedback :)

Edited by bob_pickard

I think the Innovation Honey (140H?) set are ok with magnetics - the core is synthetic but the wrap is metalic enough to work. Couple of years ago I had a set of the L'aBella black plastic strings (steel core wire) and they were very nice, and just a bit forgiving on the hands than Spiros.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1373826' date='Sep 14 2011, 09:58 PM']Kolstein Heritage are a great low tension string. Heck, a great string all round. Great feel and tone, IMO. And wonderfully magnetic. And a major +1 for their customer service. Barrie Kolstein rocks.[/quote]
+1

I have Heritage strings on my Kolstein DB. I previously preferred Silver Slaps but these are very, very nice strings and mag-friendly

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1374086' date='Sep 15 2011, 09:43 AM']Hey Clarky how is the tension compared to Silver Slaps?

Also have you slapped them? Do they sound mellow enough for that sort of thing?[/quote]
I can't A/B but I would say they are fractionally higher tension than SS's but not a great deal in it. I don't (can't!) slap so can't answer your second question at all, I'm afraid. To me they feel like the DB equivalent of TI Flats, if that gives you a slight sense (as in mellow, slim, easy under the fingers). Maybe Gareth can pitch in here?

To me they seem fairly narrow gauge (per my TI flat analogy) but then I used to use Silver Slaps which are seriously chunky. Maybe Mr Bassman or Gareth Hughes could specifically answer here? A quick email to Kolstein would probably get you your answer within 24 hours

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='bob_pickard' post='1373626' date='Sep 14 2011, 07:46 PM']Hello, as some of you may know I play in a 50s rock & roll band, use a mag pickup and regularly do 3 hour sets and all that jazz or errm rock and roll.. :)

Anyway I currently use a Spiro Weichs, mixture of slap and pizz (mostly pizz) and generally get blisters every gig and practice even after two years or so - sometimes I get away with it, mostly not!

So is there a lower tension magnetic string I coud try? I don't want to go the piezo route, been there got fed up with the feedback :)[/quote]

You'll get blisters using any string if your technique isn't sorted. I doubt going lower tension will help, it'll just take all the balls out of your sound. Practice in front of a mirror and take a good look at your right hand, you'll be putting in way too much effort getting the string to speak. Concentrate on getting as big a sound as possible but with as little movement in your hand & fingers as possible. It's all that wasted effort that's giving you blisters.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got 4/4 spiros on my 3/4 EUB... that feels noticeably softer than 3/4s. Just a thought about a different way to go.

Obviously, you can tell what your existing strings would sound like "bumped" - just de-tune a 4th... 4/4 strings or solo tuning at standard pitch would be mid way between those 2 extremes. ( offer up a tape measure to your bass. look at where the pitches come on the string, then de-tune that amount to give you a ball-park idea of the feel)

You could also try Prestos. Similar to innovation Silverslaps in many ways, good for slapping, strong gut-like tone, good sustain and definition, nylon outer gives reasonably soft slap tone. But metallic inner wrap means they work with a mag.

They were once almost as popular as Rotosounds for slappers, but fashions and options change, people seem to use Innovations and whackers more than either of those now.

Or as mentioned elsewhere, try Innovation (Braided core) Solo guage, detuned to concert. Nice tension, nice tone, nice click. Here them slapped here: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41F2ukjtBf0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41F2ukjtBf0[/url]

Curiously enough I've a set all boxed up on my shelf, looking for a new home.