Why become a member? ×

Is The Fender Headstock The Wrong Way Round?

cytania

Hampsters bassist got me into thinking about it, ref tension and ease of tuning-its easier to adjust below than above, sting length allows use of long scale strings etc.
I would go for this reverse set up if i get a bass made. would love a sklar double reverse P like this

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1373299' date='Sep 14 2011, 02:55 PM']From the pics i get the feeling he plays with reverse strings so the neck is also upside down because of it. In some string sets your E string isn't long enough to wrap around the farest machinehead! I don't know how old this gentleman is but i suspect there weren't any left-handed basses when he started out therefore he's used to play with a "normal" bass strung in the "normal" way but rotated due to him being lefty.
Try not to think of his bass as a left-handed model with a weird neck but more of a right-handed bass with a left-handed body!

Just out of curiosity, having a bass set up like his you'll get the E and A strings pickup closer to the bridge than the D and G strings pickup, [i]a la[/i] Sandberg! I'm very curious as to the sound of this particular bass...

edit: in this pick you can see what i'm saying:
[url="http://www.myspace.com/geraldjohnson101/photos/11059381/tagged#%7B%22ImageId%22%3A11059381%7D"]http://www.myspace.com/geraldjohnson101/ph...2%3A11059381%7D[/url][/quote]

Yes, you're right I think. I have a friend who plays slide guitar with the strings upside down as he's let handed and started to play on other (right handed) peoples guitars. Plays great lead slide but couldn't play a bar chord if his life depended on it.

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1373901' date='Sep 14 2011, 11:12 PM']Hampsters bassist got me into thinking about it, ref tension and ease of tuning-its easier to adjust below than above, sting length allows use of long scale strings etc.
I would go for this reverse set up if i get a bass made. would love a sklar double reverse P like this[/quote]
The orientation of the headstock makes zero difference to the string tension.