Why become a member? ×

Do I get a 2x10 or a 4x10?

FourStrung

• 1 month later...

This reminds me (very obliquely, you'll discover as you read on) of the time I did a fill in with another band.

Friday night, Ashdown C300 Combo - 1x15 Mag version.
I couldn't hear a thing. Just wasn't enough to do the job.

I was out with them on the Saturday and vowed not to be caught out in a similar fashion again.
I brought the combo as a front end and brought my PA system as a stand alone bass system.

This consisted of 2 complete HK Audio Lucas systems.
These are a 1x15 powered bin with two 1x8 plus HF mid top cabinets.

I stacked the two bins one on top of the other and the 4 mid / tops right across the top and had that as my main.
Then used the Ashdown as a front end DI'd into the mega stack.

I heard myself that night, oh yes :-)

2x15s, 4x8s 4 x horns, plus the Ashdown.
1900 watts IIRC.

They made me carry it all myself.
Wanted nothing to do with it :-)

The band is now testing out putting everything through the PA. Had the first run through last week.
I had my reservations about how the bass would sound, although we have bass bins for front of house and 15" in the foldback. So i arrived with the full rig but the intention was to DI to the PA.
While this was he first run at this sound setup, and came about as a result of the bad acoustics where we end up playing, I think I was a little disappointed. Not in the sound but the fact my new cab had become a little redundant. I could still hear/feel it on stage, but was told the sound overall for the band was a great deal better.
Obviously this will be fine for bigger venues which are less frequent, especially in central France, so I will still get to benefit from the rig most of the time.
Would be interested to here an advise /opinions on DI use.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1320615315' post='1429104']
This reminds me (very obliquely, you'll discover as you read on) of the time I did a fill in with another band.

Friday night, Ashdown C300 Combo - 1x15 Mag version.
I couldn't hear a thing. Just wasn't enough to do the job.

I was out with them on the Saturday and vowed not to be caught out in a similar fashion again.
I brought the combo as a front end and brought my PA system as a stand alone bass system.

This consisted of 2 complete HK Audio Lucas systems.
These are a 1x15 powered bin with two 1x8 plus HF mid top cabinets.

I stacked the two bins one on top of the other and the 4 mid / tops right across the top and had that as my main.
Then used the Ashdown as a front end DI'd into the mega stack.

I heard myself that night, oh yes :-)

2x15s, 4x8s 4 x horns, plus the Ashdown.
1900 watts IIRC.

They made me carry it all myself.
Wanted nothing to do with it :-)
[/quote]
Thanks John, this made me smile this morning. I got rid of a heavy Fender Blues Deville because I was fed up with carrying up and down stairs along with the PA gear I have, so tried to avoid anything too bulky and heavy. But it was a great temptation to go 4x10/12, and have rarely heard a bad 8 x12. But then I would have had to buy a van as well. Not sure I could have got away with spending that much without a divorce case on my hands - next year maybe :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1316686513' post='1381331']
I don't understand this need to do 1 trip from the car!! That's not the point of lightweight or modular rigs. I don't care how many trips it takes as long as I'm not carrying more than 40lbs at a time.
[/quote]

As a bass player who, like many others, also does the PA, I understand it entirely. I've got our PA & my bass rig to the point where I can get the lot in with 5 trips from the car. Given the non-optimal parking arrangements at many venues, every trip counts!

The lightweight & compact gear that I've moved to in the last few years has payback when humping it in & out of the car and around the stage. The rest of the time, it all goes on a trolley - I never carry when I can roll... :)

Edited by Alec

[quote name='Alec' timestamp='1320680560' post='1429858']

As a bass player who, like many others, also does the PA, I understand it entirely. I've got our PA & my bass rig to the point where I can get the lot in with 5 trips from the car. Given the non-optimal parking arrangements at many venues, every trip counts!

The lightweight & compact gear that I've moved to in the last few years has payback when humping it in & out of the car and around the stage. The rest of the time, it all goes on a trolley - I never carry when I can roll... :)
[/quote]
I know I said I was trying to avoid heavy/bulky ha ha...
The MAG 115 300 is 28kg almost 62lbs and MAG 115 Deep cab is 27kg about 60Ibs great plan huh!!!
I have managed to squeeze amp and cab, PA amp and 4 cabs, stands, bass, cables etc into my hatchback - I can still hear that suspension creaking... (and the shocks absorbers have just been replaced) even tucked a small guitar combo and and guitar too - hey no passengers that trip

Edited by FourStrung

[quote name='FourStrung' timestamp='1320681503' post='1429883']
The MAG 115 300 is 28kg almost 62lbs and MAG 115 Deep cab is 27kg about 60Ibs great plan huh!!!
Pah - together, that's barely any more than my old Trace 4x10 combo - depleted uranium....
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

[size=6][sup]Depleted Urainum - I've got your number...I hump an SMX 1210 combo which is 48kg :blink: [/sup]

[sup]I've just added a 2X10 and it makes a significant difference to my live sound IMHO. The weight becomes unimportant - a trolley is good though. [/sup][/size]

[size=6][sup]6X10...oh yes... [/sup]

[sup]Fasten your seat belts...[/sup][/size]

Edited by StraightSix