Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision

kedo

Can anyone give me a bit of advice. I know there are some Fender historians out there.
I am considering bidding for a Fender Precision bass but don't know much about it's pedigree. It's sunburst with rosewood fingerboard made in USA and it has a hard case. It's serial number (Z) dates it to Corona 2004. With American instruments now available from £800 (American Special) with the Standard Precision at £1000, I don't know where this instrument fits in. Was all this variety available in 2004? Can anyone help.

Thanks,

KEDO

[quote name='kedo' post='1368417' date='Sep 10 2011, 11:35 AM']Can anyone give me a bit of advice. I know there are some Fender historians out there.
I am considering bidding for a Fender Precision bass but don't know much about it's pedigree. It's sunburst with rosewood fingerboard made in USA and it has a hard case. It's serial number (Z) dates it to Corona 2004. With American instruments now available from £800 (American Special) with the Standard Precision at £1000, I don't know where this instrument fits in. Was all this variety available in 2004? Can anyone help.

Thanks,

KEDO[/quote]

From the brief description it sounds fine for the year

[quote name='kedo' post='1368417' date='Sep 10 2011, 11:35 AM']Can anyone give me a bit of advice. I know there are some Fender historians out there.

Thanks,

KEDO[/quote]

The American Special was then the Highway One, I think my HW1 had a Z serial number but I could be wrong.

[quote name='gjones' post='1370337' date='Sep 12 2011, 12:54 PM']Did you get the Precision in the end?[/quote]
Hi Gareth.

No still looking. I may try to sell my Jazz to fund a decent one, but would be unwilling to take a huge financial hit. I played some Japanese and Mexican precisions in Guitar Guitar and must say it's hard to distinguish them from made in USA! Thought the detailing on the Squires was a bit ropy but they also play well.

Jack