Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee Talking Bass

Bassassin

Bignose out of Rush, talking about his playing style, the various different instruments he's used, his influences etc, and even plonking around a bit on a bass:

[url="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6814432195895010358&q=geddy+lee"]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=68...amp;q=geddy+lee[/url]

:)

Jon.

Ta for that... great stuff.

Strange that he talks about 'the need to groove' before moving on to talking about his 'flamenco finger' playing style he adopted for a few albums recently. It has to be the whitest, most groove-free technique in existence. -_-

I'm glad he's back to mostly playing fingerstyle...

It's funny, I do the single finger picking thing because my two fingered picking isn't great, I thought I was a bit of a freak playing that way, but apparently not.

Great vid, thanks for the link, can't wait for October.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='16965' date='Jun 13 2007, 03:41 PM']Geddy talks about being 'funky' but although I rate him as a rock player, unless I'm missing something, he just ain't funky![/quote]
No - much as I love him, he's one of the most funk-free bassists ever! I can only think he means contextually - funky compared to [i]La Villa Strangiato[/i], rather than funky like James Brown! :)

J.

nice, and beleive it or not until today i hadn't heard any Rush songs before, boy have i been missing out.

now i just wanna go and learn YYZ, anyone got any tabs for that?

also didn't realise that the start of YYZ is the same as the start to John the fisherman by Primus, obviously Rush did it first

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='17083' date='Jun 13 2007, 06:07 PM']nice, and beleive it or not until today i hadn't heard any Rush songs before, boy have i been missing out.

now i just wanna go and learn YYZ, anyone got any tabs for that?[/quote]

There are a couple of good ones on the usual tab sites, UG and the like. Good luck learning it by the way, it's quite a hectic bassline :)

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='17091' date='Jun 13 2007, 06:16 PM']cool cheers, just found one but didn't look cos they keep being taken off the sites, oh and it like em fairly hectic but looks like he got paid by the note for that one. :)[/quote]

Did he play that one with a pick? Its a bit mental... I remember having that over the PA before my band were due to due our second set and a little group of the audience went mad for it (musicians as I found out after the gig) and let's just say trying to follow YYZ isnt the easiest thing to do! LOL