Why become a member? ×

Which amp should I buy?

rco95

A bit of a 'how long is piece of string' question.

The wattage you'll need from an amp for a gig is incredibly variable, depending on a number of things like the efficiency of your cab(s), how much bottom end you like in your sound, how many guitarists in the band and what they're using, loudness of the drummer, etc.

Your budget would be a good starting point though.

[quote name='Musky' post='1368108' date='Sep 9 2011, 09:37 PM']A bit of a 'how long is piece of string' question.

The wattage you'll need from an amp for a gig is incredibly variable, depending on a number of things like the efficiency of your cab(s), how much bottom end you like in your sound, how many guitarists in the band and what they're using, loudness of the drummer, etc.

Your budget would be a good starting point though.[/quote]

Budget is minimal, as a guide I'll say £100-120 but cheaper is better

[quote name='rco95' post='1368110' date='Sep 9 2011, 09:40 PM']Budget is minimal, as a guide I'll say £100-120 but cheaper is better[/quote]
In that case you're fairly limited. Peavey TNTs and Ashdown MAGS can be picked up for that sort of money and both are gigable, especially if you've got PA support. Don't get too hung up on the wattage differences, as in practice the difference in volume is fairly minimal.

Out of personal preference I'd go for the Peavey, but plenty of others would choose the Ashdown.

P.S. I'm assuming you're looking for amp and speakers here, rather than just the head.

If it's a small venue he often uses hotrods, but not always.
You'd actually be surprised at some of the gigs I've done with sub 100 watt combos, really shows that watts doesny = volume (a good example of folk getting hung up on watts is the TC thread, those heads are loud & put out less than 150w into 8 ohms).