Why become a member? ×

Has anyone any thoughts of rendering files with a subsonic hi-pass filter before mixing.

ironside1966

[quote name='markstuk' post='1367430' date='Sep 9 2011, 11:09 AM']There was an article in Future Music a few months ago where this was mentioned in the context of removing sub 20 Hz artifacts...[/quote]
Before mixing, though?

By all means, throw a 20Hz HPF on each track while mixing, but why bother re-rendering every track before the mix (and risk degrading the audio if your render settings aren't correct)? One simple filter per track isn't exactly going to kill the CPU.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1367433' date='Sep 9 2011, 11:11 AM']Before mixing, though?

By all means, throw a 20Hz HPF on each track while mixing, but why bother re-rendering every track before the mix (and risk degrading the audio if your render settings aren't correct)? One simple filter per track isn't exactly going to kill the CPU.[/quote]

Exactly, plusd you are almost certainly going to want/need a higher frequency high pass filter on the majority of tracks anyway, sub 20Hz? I've never ever set one that low, sub 35Hz is about as low as I've ever got, so why use two high pass filters on the signal when one will do it?

You cannot tell until you are in the mix how high you can set the highpass filter, and you want to set it as high as possible, simlarly with low pass filters (which I set on as many tracks as I possibly can too).

Nope, not before mixing :-)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1367433' date='Sep 9 2011, 11:11 AM']Before mixing, though?

By all means, throw a 20Hz HPF on each track while mixing, but why bother re-rendering every track before the mix (and risk degrading the audio if your render settings aren't correct)? One simple filter per track isn't exactly going to kill the CPU.[/quote]

On the other hand, why not?

You have a theory, its got to be worth a try, maybe you've struck on something that will have a subtle variation on your mix that you like, maybe you'll change the world of mixing as we know it. It might even make no difference whatsoever. Stranger things have happened; mixing is a creative art too.

Re-rendering your files doesn't have to be distructive either, render to new files and keep the old ones safe.

Nothing Ventured!! :)

I am not talking about the use of high pass filters to create sonic space or even remove background noise, these are best approached on an individual basis but removing frequencies that speakers can't handle.

Here are a few pros and cons I have come up with so far.
Pros
Relatively quick and easy.
Less chance of one getting through the net
You can use a good quality lin- phase EQ which is more transparent and avoids phase distortion but has a higher latency and cpu load
Cons
There is no going back but I always keep a copy of the raw files anyway.

I often cut the 20hz & 20khz shelfs* (I read about production techniques in a few different mags such as Sound on Sound & Computer Music back in the 80s & 90s) & do this to my electronic music as I like to make some serious subby sounds, but I think it would depend on your bass sound to start with.

* Disclaimer, I'm pretty crap at mastering. My hearing has seen better days :) Though I don't know anyone who could actually hear anything below 20hz or above 20khz.