Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Lakland 5501

Raslee

Sold

More pics [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/118380618731756986255/Lakland5501?authuser=0&feat=directlink"]HERE[/url]

This is only a feeler to gauge any offers really however i may consider converting the 5501 to passive or just keeping it but someone may just want one of these and have the right jazz to part with. It has the NTMB pre amp which i believe is quite sort after, Bartolini pick ups, string through, Lakland Magic etc etc . Plays like a dream too.

Edited by Rasta

Lovely bass - what about sticking some flats on her as a first measure and then having a look for some passive pick-up/circuitry combos - give Andy at Wizard pickups a call ?

I've got some flats on a Lakland LOG 5-string (55-64 I believe they call the 5-string Bob Glaub nowdays) by the way - Killer reggae bass !

[quote name='dmz' post='1371149' date='Sep 12 2011, 09:53 PM']Lovely bass - what about sticking some flats on her as a first measure and then having a look for some passive pick-up/circuitry combos - give Andy at Wizard pickups a call ?

I've got some flats on a Lakland LOG 5-string (55-64 I believe they call the 5-string Bob Glaub nowdays) by the way - Killer reggae bass ![/quote]
Yeah i've got some chromes flats on her now, sounds great. I really do love this bass in all ways and am seriously giving it some consideration about passive pick ups. I've been looking at the Norstrand Single coils as a possibility but they certainly are not cheap! I never thought about wizard, cheers for that. I really like Lindy Fralins but cannot find any 'soap bar' types that would fit. I guess i would need some help with wiring too if i go the new pick up route.

My 4 string jazz, with Lindy Fralins, sounds great through my Orange terror bass amp and the bass sound is easily controllable with the tone alone but i'm struggling with the amp in active mode with the 5501 to control the bass frequencies as smoothly....in the reggae i play i need good definition in the low frequencies and it takes a lot of fiddling with the mids and the bass knobs, sometimes added treble, on the 5501 to get something i'm happy with but it still doesn't quite sound as good as my 4 string jazz. :)

Sorry the 55 isn't working for you Lee. If it's any consolation, I know what you mean - I'm a passive head too. There are a few guys on that American site who've done exactly what you're thinking about - installed passive soapbars and simple V/V/T controls and been very happy, but it'd probably work out the same to sell and get a JO5. This is a cracking bass folks (I sold it to Lee as I've moved away from 5 strings)...

Can i ask what the toggle is for? Has this bass been upgraded from stock?

Cheers.

EDIT:OMG, this looks like my old bass :) I had a NTMB put in my old 55-01 and the Gallery put the toggle in (against my wishes). I sold it on here a few years ago but know it was sold on quite quickly as the buyer didnt get on with it.
For what its worth i felt the tone was a bit lacking in substance, due to the pups rather than the pre amp.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='twodinners' post='1371486' date='Sep 13 2011, 09:56 AM']Hi, I've got nothing suitable to offer in exchange I'm afraid. Are you possibly considering a straight sale?[/quote]

Hi, I may do if something suitable comes up, i would need to replace it pretty quick though as i'm using the 5 regularly at the moment. There is a 5 jazz on here at the moment and i have mailed the guy for some info....i'll keep you updated. Thanks.
[quote name='Bigwan' post='1371582' date='Sep 13 2011, 11:05 AM']Sorry the 55 isn't working for you Lee. If it's any consolation, I know what you mean - I'm a passive head too. There are a few guys on that American site who've done exactly what you're thinking about - installed passive soapbars and simple V/V/T controls and been very happy, but it'd probably work out the same to sell and get a JO5. This is a cracking bass folks (I sold it to Lee as I've moved away from 5 strings)...[/quote]
Hi mate, the bass is working out great its just my sound for reggae that i'm struggling with, if i was doing funk/rock regularly i would definitely keep it as it sounds great for that style. I may still keep as it plays really nice and i love the 'black beauty' looks.....just looking at my options really. :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1372131' date='Sep 13 2011, 05:05 PM']Can i ask what the toggle is for? Has this bass been upgraded from stock?[/quote]
Could well be your old bass mate, i have no idea. The toggle, i am guessing, is for maybe a split coil setting? It does seem to thicken and thin the sound depending on the setting. I feel the bass has a lot of substance in its sound but i guess that depends what your looking for, i thought it was quite funky when i had rounds on it and got a nice slap tone (not that my slap is any good) and a good variation of other tones....just lacking in definition in the lows for me in comparison to my 4 string passive jazz.

[quote name='Rasta' post='1372170' date='Sep 13 2011, 05:29 PM']Could well be your old bass mate, i have no idea. The toggle, i am guessing, is for maybe a split coil setting? It does seem to thicken and thin the sound depending on the setting. I feel the bass has a lot of substance in its sound but i guess that depends what your looking for, i thought it was quite funky when i had rounds on it and got a nice slap tone (not that my slap is any good) and a good variation of other tones....just lacking in definition in the lows for me in comparison to my 4 string passive jazz.[/quote]

IIR the toggle was/is a freq selector selector for the mid range knob, although it might have been re wired since i had it.

Im only guesing its my old one by the toggle and the scuff marks on the back of the neck. I did like the tone, it had a very good rocky tone, nice and clanky if needed but also very warm, i just felt a passive Jazz or P was more for me.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1372798' date='Sep 14 2011, 08:26 AM']It is your old bass Dave. Can't remember who I bought it from but I had it for 2-3 years. I didn't feel it was lacking at all - actually quite liked the bass passive![/quote]

Glad its still alive then.
I remember the day i got it, i had decided i was going to get a 5 string so went off to the Bass Centre to see what they had. Money wasn't really an object, i just wanted something that was very nice to play, good looking and versatile. They had a large stand with about 6-7 55-01, all black, some with maple necks, some with rosewood. I hadnt heard of Lakalnd before so passed them by to start with. After trying some pretty high end gear, and a very lovely Sandberg PM5 i picked a 55-01 up and fell in love with it.
The only issue i had was i also loved the Sandberg, more so for its looks. After going back later with the intention of getting the Sandberg i tried the 55-01 out again and that was that. One of the cheapest 5 strings in the shop yet played and sounded the best (to my ears).
All 7 seemed to play and feel exactly the same and i was very impressed. I walked out with this bass and gigged it the next day. Thats was a challenge in itself but i got through the gig ok.

Its a great bass, i guess im just a passive Fender guy. Its certainly the most adaptable Bass ive ever owned and the neck is wonderful, i will own a Lakland 5 string again one day. I had a Fender P5 and Duck Dunn during the time i had the 55-01 and i just preferred these i guess.

Sorry to be so long winded, just thought i would add a bit of background history.

Good luck with the trade Lee.

Edited by dave_bass5

Cheers guys, I've got some love developing for this bass and i'm seriously giving it some major consideration on keeping the 5501 and going all passive. I spent the evening last night playing it followed by reading TB's Lakland 01's owners club...there was some great advice on there about going all passive and other mods too, big cheers for that signpost Bigwan :) I'm thinking Nordy's big singles and wiring VVT like a jazz but i will contact the Wizard pick up guys to see what they say too.

I don't think i can afford to be without a Lakland 5 whilst i am needing 5 strings, they're just grrrrreeeeat B's and probably the only decent 5 string that will be in my price range . I let my Laky JO5 go in the past during some financial difficulty, my wife witnessed a deterioration in my mental health with the loss of the JO5, attachemnt disorder, PTSD and i heard and saw Lakland that others did not :) plus my drummer had not forgiven me until i got this 5501 :)

If i do go the passive route I guess I will keep the active electronics in case i decide to go back to active or want to try the NTMB with my new pick ups. However I'm not going to withdraw the trade just yet , erm i think so, in case something comes up :o but the new lion of judah transfer on this bass was just meant to be and well..... come payday an oder for those new pickups could be just the answer.

Edited by Rasta

I do think the pups are the (only) weak point. I really didn't notice much of a change when i got the NTMB installed and had i have kept it i would probably have put in BIg singles.

I've also had a DJ5 that i put Nordy's in (making it a PJ) but never really felt 100% with that bass. Its now the one bass i really regret selling :-(