Why become a member? ×

Tough times

bluesparky

A couple of weeks ago whilst I was knocking down a wall at a friends house my finger was mangled in a sledgehammer / wall interface error.
It hurts like hell and made a bit of a mess but it's mending slowly.
It has left me not able to play for a bit and it certainly leaves me with a lot of time on my hands when I'm at home and not working.
Hopefully it'll sort itself out soon and i'll be able to play without swearing all the time..
Fortunately I can just about still play the piano at the moment so that's taking up my time. It's horrible not being able to play when you want to!

[quote name='bluesparky' post='1363701' date='Sep 6 2011, 06:57 AM']A couple of weeks ago whilst I was knocking down a wall at a friends house my finger was mangled in a sledgehammer / wall interface error.
It hurts like hell and made a bit of a mess but it's mending slowly.
It has left me not able to play for a bit and it certainly leaves me with a lot of time on my hands when I'm at home and not working.
Hopefully it'll sort itself out soon and i'll be able to play without swearing all the time..
Fortunately I can just about still play the piano at the moment so that's taking up my time. It's horrible not being able to play when you want to![/quote]

Wow sorry to hear that, how unfortunate. At least you can listen to loads of music, go to gigs etc...chill and relax, you'll be back playing before you know it! All the best!

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

[quote name='gary mac' post='1363750' date='Sep 6 2011, 08:37 AM']That sounds very nasty, I wish you and your finger well matey.

A few years back I had a serious altercation with a stanley knife that I was wielding, couldn't play for a quite a while. Like you say it's horrible when you can't play.[/quote]
However, on the upside I have tidied the flat, thrown out 6 bin bags of stuff we don't need anymore, spent a couple of hours each night making nice dinners and trimmed the landlady's front bush (oo-er).
I've been given the gift of time!

I had an argument with a cricket ball two years ago, bent the tip of my LH ring finger back. I could play but had to keep it strapped up with elastoplast and couldn't bend strings with that finger. I can play unhindered now but the joint is still swolen and I've lost some movement , probably permanently. I doubt I will be missed (batting average of 3) but I have given the game up now.
As soon as you can cope with it , start doing some gentle excercises to get the finger moving again.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='1363814' date='Sep 6 2011, 10:04 AM']I had an argument with a cricket ball two years ago, bent the tip of my LH ring finger back. I could play but had to keep it strapped up with elastoplast and couldn't bend strings with that finger. I can play unhindered now but the joint is still swolen and I've lost some movement , probably permanently. I doubt I will be missed (batting average of 3) but I have given the game up now.
As soon as you can cope with it , start doing some gentle excercises to get the finger moving again.[/quote]
Whilst emptying dozens of drawers yesterday i managed to find a "grip master" resistance spring thing, it could be just the job!

[quote name='bluesparky' post='1363773' date='Sep 6 2011, 08:57 AM']However, on the upside I have tidied the flat, thrown out 6 bin bags of stuff we don't need anymore, spent a couple of hours each night making nice dinners and trimmed the landlady's front bush (oo-er).
[b] I've been given the gift of time![/b][/quote]

[url="http://youtu.be/7dEKQL0I4LU"]http://youtu.be/7dEKQL0I4LU[/url]

How many fingers have you got? If you have two un-injured fingers you can play bass :)

You have my sympathies. I once crushed the tip of my main plucking finger. I was packing the gear in the van at the end of the night, having consumed one or two glasses of pop during the evening. I managed to mangle my finger against a PA cab while loading my heavy cast aluminium Traynor head. It resulted in several hours at the infirmary, 5 stitches to pull the mess back into something resembling a fingertip, and a tetanus injection. It didn't half smart :) It took several months until I could play with it without pain.

On the up-side, the scar tissue means my fingertip never goes soft even if I haven't played for a few weeks :lol:

I've broken/had ligament damage in various fingers over the past few years, mostly through sport, though one break was falling over drunk. It's gutting when you can't play, but the one thing I've learned is that if it hurts at all when you're playing, don't play at all, as you're only aggravating the affected area.

• 2 weeks later...