Why become a member? ×

Terminal blocks instead of soldering?

Magnolia

[quote name='Magnolia' post='157377' date='Mar 14 2008, 01:15 PM']I was just thinking as an alternative to soldering could i use [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L96AR&source=15&SD=Y"]these[/url]
terminal blocks to wire in pickups?

Nick[/quote]

Probably handy if you're in the habit of regularly changing in and out different pickups, but if not I'd rather have the security of a solidly soldered joint. You'd still need to solder anyway, I doubt you can connect these direct to pot lugs etc. because they're not long enough to get in the hole sufficiently for the screw to catch them. It's just another thing to potentially go wrong - there's more chance of one of these going wrong than a competently made solder joint.

[quote name='neepheid' post='157380' date='Mar 14 2008, 01:19 PM']Probably handy if you're in the habit of regularly changing in and out different pickups, but if not I'd rather have the security of a solidly soldered joint. You'd still need to solder anyway, I doubt you can connect these direct to pot lugs etc. because they're not long enough to get in the hole sufficiently for the screw to catch them. It's just another thing to potentially go wrong - there's more chance of one of these going wrong than a competently made solder joint.[/quote]

Im looking at trying out different pickups. I recently got some Wizard pickups, i want a custom set as i have a specific sound but Andy suggested i try the 84s and if they arnt what im after i can send them back to be re-wound. So I may be chopping and changing pickups. I was thinking about just snipping the wire about an 2 inches from the pots so i have enough that side.

[quote name='Magnolia' post='157389' date='Mar 14 2008, 01:29 PM']Im looking at trying out different pickups. I recently got some Wizard pickups, i want a custom set as i have a specific sound but Andy suggested i try the 84s and if they arnt what im after i can send them back to be re-wound. So I may be chopping and changing pickups. I was thinking about just snipping the wire about an 2 inches from the pots so i have enough that side.[/quote]

To be honest, it'd be as easy to use one of these:

Edited by neepheid

Electronically there's no reason why not - a contact is a contact.

They're quite bulky, those terminal strips, though so you might be tight for space. If you pick the smallest one you can find you might just about manage it.

I'd recommend you revert to soldering once you've finalised your pickup choice, though.

My Custom shop Fender has plugs on the end of the Pup leads. this got me to thinking I could cross over form another hobby........

try some of these .........

[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=11654&C=Froogle&U=11654&T=Product&MA=Futaba%20Servo%20Connectors%20(Servo%20Plug%20Pack)"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...%20Plug%20Pack)[/url]

The luv pump is a solder sucker used for removing molten solder during disassembly). However I learned recently that they generate static and shouldn't be used on microelectronics (that includes op-amp in your active circuitry). Pros use solder wick instead.

Also the screw terminal can lead to a higher resistance joint than solder.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='159198' date='Mar 17 2008, 08:40 PM']I would have said the same but discovered a while back that aircraft engineers wouldn't agree with you :)[/quote]
Very true - a lot of aviation, military and telecoms equipment was wire-wrapped. Solder's quite brittle and suffers stress fractures. But then you need square post terminals and special tools to wrap properly. Soldering's probably the best option in a bass.