Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Micro Vr into an 8x10?!

EskimoBassist

When I saw Foo Fighters at Milton Keynes Bowl, Jimmy Eat World supported (and they were superb as always).

Oh yes, I spotted the exact same Micro VR.

If those amp heads didnt have the current problems I hear about on tbass, id probably buy one myself. Once they iron the issues out I might buy one.

[quote name='SS73' post='1355971' date='Aug 30 2011, 09:30 AM']Have used the very same set up and it does go very very loud, not sure if it's Reading volume though.[/quote]

Perhaps it goes to show that masses of volume isn't always needed on stage. He probably had plenty of what he needed to hear coming from the monitors.

IMO it always makes sense to have as much bass as you need coming through your amp, and as much bass as the crowd needs DI'd or Mic'd through the PA. You should then have all the other instruments coming through your monitor(s). IMO this goes for everything right from the pubs I play in to Reading fest...

[quote name='SS73' post='1355971' date='Aug 30 2011, 09:30 AM']Have used the very same set up and it does go very very loud, not sure if it's Reading volume though. On the other hand it does mean you can bring your cab and amp to the gig in one go single handed.[/quote]

You can carry an 8x10 in one hand?!?! :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1356036' date='Aug 30 2011, 10:40 AM']In fact, I think Ampeg have really started to pull back into the market, but again, I hear all the repair issues on the new Micro VRs, PF350/500s and the 7 Pro, and it puts me off. What they arent so great at is testing these amps fully before they hit the market.[/quote]

I remember doing work experience at a very high end PA company, and they ran something like 2x50hour tests including a minimum of like 20 hours running at full power etc etc, it would surprise me if Ampeg weren't running something similar, which should test it all fairly fully.

[quote name='Conan' post='1356029' date='Aug 30 2011, 10:34 AM']You can carry an 8x10 in one hand?!?! :)[/quote]

Sure, one hand for the amp, the other to steer the cab.

The issues with the amps are interesting, Ive not managed to get mine to do what the problem ones do with the twin 210AV's, even so it's a concern, although it is limited to them and not other 4 ohm cabs?.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1355969' date='Aug 30 2011, 09:29 AM']When I saw Foo Fighters at Milton Keynes Bowl, Jimmy Eat World supported (and they were superb as always).

Oh yes, I spotted the exact same Micro VR.

If those amp heads didnt have the current problems I hear about on tbass, id probably buy one myself. Once they iron the issues out I might buy one.[/quote]

And what a gig it was :)

Woooo-ooo-oooo Woooo-ooo-ooo :)

Also... Down IT!!!!!!