Why become a member? ×

yamaha rbx6 jm - any good? how much to pay s/h?

andydye

in brief:

any good? if it's a first generation RBXJM (the one with 2 pick ups) I would go as far as to say that it's VERY good. I've heard mixed opinions about the newer model. I've only seen it once, and it didn't impress me. But I have NOT played it.

The only thing a little wrong with that bass is probably the electronics (not the pickups), but you are gonna stay safe as long as you don't tweak the pots too much. It's got a very fast attack, something that is not really usual (IMO) with yamaha basses, and the ebony fingerboard makes it sound very... I'd say "precise", if you will. I personally like its sound a lot.

One important thing to be aware of: string spacing. It is very narrow, around 15-16 mm, and you really have to get used to it (you do, eventually, in 20 minutes). It is by no means as wide as that of a TRB. this said, I remember that bass as a joy to play. the narrow string spacing allows for a slimmer neck, which is a plus for me.

I wouldn't pay more than £500.

That's perfect, many thanks!

[quote name='biro' post='1355053' date='Aug 29 2011, 10:37 AM']in brief:

any good? if it's a first generation RBXJM (the one with 2 pick ups) I would go as far as to say that it's VERY good. I've heard mixed opinions about the newer model. I've only seen it once, and it didn't impress me. But I have NOT played it.

The only thing a little wrong with that bass is probably the electronics (not the pickups), but you are gonna stay safe as long as you don't tweak the pots too much. It's got a very fast attack, something that is not really usual (IMO) with yamaha basses, and the ebony fingerboard makes it sound very... I'd say "precise", if you will. I personally like its sound a lot.

One important thing to be aware of: string spacing. It is very narrow, around 15-16 mm, and you really have to get used to it (you do, eventually, in 20 minutes). It is by no means as wide as that of a TRB. this said, I remember that bass as a joy to play. the narrow string spacing allows for a slimmer neck, which is a plus for me.

I wouldn't pay more than £500.[/quote]

I've got one and I love it. Picked it up on here from Lorne.

The RBX6JM is the first model (green or red with the infinity inlay) and two pickups.

The second one is the one that looks like the newer RBX basses with one pickup.

Not much to say that hasn't been said except the B is THUNDEROUS. Also the bass is lovely and growly in general :)

Awesome!

Sounds like I'll love it!

[quote name='charic' post='1355496' date='Aug 29 2011, 06:14 PM']I've got one and I love it. Picked it up on here from Lorne.

The RBX6JM is the first model (green or red with the infinity inlay) and two pickups.

The second one is the one that looks like the newer RBX basses with one pickup.

Not much to say that hasn't been said except the B is THUNDEROUS. Also the bass is lovely and growly in general :)[/quote]

I had one for a few years too, the Turquoise version.

Looks stunning and play extremely well (for my hands at least!). Im not sure if it was just the JM's, but Yammies seem to end up with jack socket problems, the leads fall out if you jiggle the bass a little. Make sure you get that sorted before you buy it, or get prepared to spend a little cash on a new jack socket once you've bought it.

Electrically, I never had any problems. The tone controls are very very sensitive and have a massive scope. Jangly highs all the way to dubby lows. Absolutely fantastic instruments. Build quality is out of this world.

Personally, just because they're incredible instruments, I'd be happy to pay anything up to £600 (if i was gassing for one). But I doubt you'll ever have to pay that much. I reckon £400-£450 is good money.

Truckstop

Yep the RBX 6JM is a very nice bass and becoming rarer

The Turqouise one is now Charic's, I still have the red one and it is for sale, I have to many basses and nowhere to sleep

(and that isn't all of them)

The Yamaha has some chips and scuffs, but it's solid as a rock with low action

mine comes with a flight case (Not hard case) and gold Schaller strap locks (Including the strap bits)

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1356175' date='Aug 30 2011, 12:26 PM']I had one for a few years too, the Turquoise version.

Looks stunning and play extremely well (for my hands at least!). Im not sure if it was just the JM's, but Yammies seem to end up with jack socket problems, the leads fall out if you jiggle the bass a little. Make sure you get that sorted before you buy it, or get prepared to spend a little cash on a new jack socket once you've bought it.

Electrically, I never had any problems. The tone controls are very very sensitive and have a massive scope. Jangly highs all the way to dubby lows. Absolutely fantastic instruments. Build quality is out of this world.

Personally, just because they're incredible instruments, I'd be happy to pay anything up to £600 (if i was gassing for one). But I doubt you'll ever have to pay that much. I reckon £400-£450 is good money.

Truckstop[/quote]

Thanks matey, more positive comments on these! You wonder why they stopped making them (apart from JM shifting to EBMM)...

[quote name='Lorne' post='1356184' date='Aug 30 2011, 12:30 PM']Yep the RBX 6JM is a very nice bass and becoming rarer

The Turqouise one is now Charic's, I still have the red one and it is for sale, I have to many basses and nowhere to sleep

The Yamaha has some chips and scuffs, but it's solid as a rock with low action

mine comes with a flight case (Not hard case) and gold Schaller strap locks (Including the strap bits)[/quote]

Thanks Lorne, does yours have a 'for sale' thread? How much is yours up for?

How much were they when new?

[quote name='andydye' post='1356194' date='Aug 30 2011, 12:39 PM']Thanks Lorne, does yours have a 'for sale' thread? How much is yours up for?

How much were they when new?[/quote]

It did have a for sale thread a couple of months ago, but A; I'm a lazy so and so and B; I don't actually need to sell anything, so I usually put something up for sale once, if it doesn't sell, I keep it until I think about selling it again, which could be next week or next year LOL

As for the Yamaha, I was after £500 plus shipping

New, they started out for £1200 I believe, then Yamaha dropped the price to £899, but that was years and years ago

The reason they stopped making them, is because John Myung wanted the mk2 which is 34" scale instead of 35"

btw, my red one has had it's jack socket replaced already :)

Just found my for sale thread

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139425&hl=ruby+red+rbx+6jm"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...uby+red+rbx+6jm[/url]

Ignor the shipping price, I only charge exact shipping which gets calculated when I get the buyer's post code, the Turquoise one I quoted as £50 was way cheaper than that :)

I bought mine new in 1999 for £750 (I think, it was certainly about that). I have to agree with the comment about the thunderous B string and that it's worth getting the jack socket replaced as I had mine die just before a gig. The neck also seems to me to be pretty comfy for a 6 string, it's not as narrow as an Ibanez SR neck but it is thin front-to-back and just seems to fit nicely in the hand.

I replaced the pickups with Bartolini quad coil soapbars and the EQ with an Aguilar OBP-3, and while I've kept the Aguilar I've gone back to the stock pickups. The barts were nice and definitely more refined, but I actually prefer the more agressive rock tone of the stock pups.

The only real downside is the weight, these things are built like a tank and weigh almost as much :)

[quote name='LukewarmWater' post='1359290' date='Sep 1 2011, 10:20 PM']I bought mine new in 1999 for £750 (I think, it was certainly about that). I have to agree with the comment about the thunderous B string and that it's worth getting the jack socket replaced as I had mine die just before a gig. The neck also seems to me to be pretty comfy for a 6 string, it's not as narrow as an Ibanez SR neck but it is thin front-to-back and just seems to fit nicely in the hand.

I replaced the pickups with Bartolini quad coil soapbars and the EQ with an Aguilar OBP-3, and while I've kept the Aguilar I've gone back to the stock pickups. The barts were nice and definitely more refined, but I actually prefer the more agressive rock tone of the stock pups.

The only real downside is the weight, these things are built like a tank and weigh almost as much :)[/quote]

Thanks for the additional jack socket warning and good comment about the replacement preamp! Did you go for internal switch or push pull pot for the mid frequency?

The first generation models are better, I wouldn't consider them outrageously good basses but they are at least very competent instruments. Nice tone and decent playability but they could do with rounded edges on the body. The second generation models are nowhere near as good. They don't sound great and they look and feel very cheap. A real let down for me.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1359756' date='Sep 2 2011, 12:36 PM']The first generation models are better, I wouldn't consider them outrageously good basses but they are at least very competent instruments. Nice tone and decent playability but they could do with rounded edges on the body. The second generation models are nowhere near as good. They don't sound great and they look and feel very cheap. A real let down for me.[/quote]

Hhmmm, interesting, the first semi-negative comments...

Obviously quality is always in the eye of the beholder or the hand of the holder, I can get a measure of your tastes from your sig, that ACG looks superb!

What would you compare the quality of the Yam to in a comparable alternative brand? Fender? MM Ray?

They are better than the equivalent jazz bass, or any jazz bass save for the big money ones. You'd have to spend some cash to get a jazz bass with similar spec (ebony board, flamed maple top, etc etc).

They are essentially very different to the usuL choices of Musicman and Fender. The mk1 models are easily as well built. If a 6 string is what you want you may struggle to do better for the price. I'd go for a big money TRB if I wanted N6 string, but you could get two Myung basses and change for the price of a TRB. I doubt you'd be disappointed with a mk1 model, put it that way.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1359895' date='Sep 2 2011, 02:14 PM']They are better than the equivalent jazz bass, or any jazz bass save for the big money ones. You'd have to spend some cash to get a jazz bass with similar spec (ebony board, flamed maple top, etc etc).

They are essentially very different to the usuL choices of Musicman and Fender. The mk1 models are easily as well built. If a 6 string is what you want you may struggle to do better for the price. I'd go for a big money TRB if I wanted N6 string, but you could get two Myung basses and change for the price of a TRB. I doubt you'd be disappointed with a mk1 model, put it that way.[/quote]

Excellent, that helps a lot, many thanks!

This will be my first foray into 6 string, if I like it then I'll save up and maybe get Mr Shuker to build me one as he's just up the road from me...

[quote name='andydye' post='1359915' date='Sep 2 2011, 02:33 PM']Excellent, that helps a lot, many thanks!

This will be my first foray into 6 string, if I like it then I'll save up and maybe get Mr Shuker to build me one as he's just up the road from me...[/quote]

That's the plan for my next 6 (or 7). I need to have another go on Dood's as they are pretty much perfect for my needs!