Why become a member? ×

yamaha rbx6 jm - any good? how much to pay s/h?

andydye

[quote name='andydye' post='1359523' date='Sep 2 2011, 09:25 AM']Thanks for the additional jack socket warning and good comment about the replacement preamp! Did you go for internal switch or push pull pot for the mid frequency?[/quote]

I went for a push-pull pot on the mid-knob to switch between the mid frequencies. It seemed better to be able to do so without taking the cover for the electronics cavity off, but I find I very rarely change the mid centre point frequency when playing so I don't think an internal switch would actually be too bad in practice. I also added a push-pull to the volume knob for the active/passive switch.

The new EQ did make a difference but not a huge one, it's possibly something to think about but definitely not a "must".

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1359895' date='Sep 2 2011, 03:14 PM']They are better than the equivalent jazz bass, or any jazz bass save for the big money ones. You'd have to spend some cash to get a jazz bass with similar spec (ebony board, flamed maple top, etc etc).

They are essentially very different to the usuL choices of Musicman and Fender. The mk1 models are easily as well built. If a 6 string is what you want you may struggle to do better for the price. I'd go for a big money TRB if I wanted N6 string, but you could get two Myung basses and change for the price of a TRB. I doubt you'd be disappointed with a mk1 model, put it that way.[/quote]

i'll have to disagree with that: i don't really think trb's are better built. I do believe, on the contrary, that the yamaha myung is a conceptually simpler bass and the simplicity of its design entails some consequences one could consider "rough edges".

EDIT: sorry, I've mistaken your words. I now see you were referring to the higher priced trb's, and I actually agree with everything you said.

Edited by biro

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1360020' date='Sep 2 2011, 03:57 PM']If you're looking for a cheaper 6 string there is an ACG on the boards at the moment for a reasonable price. I'd have a look at that, my ACG is the best bass I've ever played. I assume that ACG will be fantastic![/quote]

I saw, I looked, I liked, I have no cash just now...the price is amazing though!

[quote name='LukewarmWater' post='1360050' date='Sep 2 2011, 04:15 PM']I went for a push-pull pot on the mid-knob to switch between the mid frequencies. It seemed better to be able to do so without taking the cover for the electronics cavity off, but I find I very rarely change the mid centre point frequency when playing so I don't think an internal switch would actually be too bad in practice. I also added a push-pull to the volume knob for the active/passive switch.

The new EQ did make a difference but not a huge one, it's possibly something to think about but definitely not a "must".[/quote]

Subtle improvement, possible future tweaking but then again if I like the 6 string experience I'll probably have one made...(ACG or Shuker)