Why become a member? ×

Did Jamerson play D tuned?

KiOgon

With LaBella 'Original 1954 Oldies' on my '51 P, through body (like it should be) I've just dropped to DGCF & it feels so right :) :D :) The truss rod might well need a tiny bit of relief - we'll see tomorow :lol:

It made me wonder if 'The Man' played it down, anyone know?

Cheerz, John

JJ only reluctantly moved from upright to electric so I reckon he wouldn't have done something as radical as detuning.

On a side note Labella flatwounds are recommended NOT to be strung through the body. Something about the break angle being too sharp. They seem to be prone to fail/break if you do this.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1351509' date='Aug 25 2011, 04:45 PM']Lot of those old soul tunes are in Eb so he might have done, yeah. *random accusation not based in fact*[/quote]

Yeah,but Jamerson played a lot of chromatic passing tones using open strings leading into the
chords. He was usually in standard tuning.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1351558' date='Aug 25 2011, 05:24 PM']On a side note Labella flatwounds are recommended NOT to be strung through the body. Something about the break angle being too sharp. They seem to be prone to fail/break if you do this.[/quote]
I've heard that before but I've had no problem - I've only had one set of them but I've recently changed them from another bass that was also strung through on a BadAssIII to this which has a Hipshot A style, no problem on either.

Having said that - I honestly can't remember ever breaking a bass string - touches wood quick like :) :)