Why become a member? ×

Fretless Bass strings

t_080_t

Hi.

I have just bought my first fretless bass and i am just wondering what peoples views are on which strings to go for.

On my fretted jazz bass i use D'addario EXL190. I am tempted to just buy the same strings for my fretless as i have used these for years and i love them.

Any opinions on this would be much appreciated

Cheers

I swaer by Rotosound Solo Bass - they are grounwound (flattended roundwounds). 23 years and no fretboard wear on my Wal. Your exisiting strings may chew the fretboard up so I would consider a change if I were you.

Welcome to the world of iffy intonation :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1350398' date='Aug 24 2011, 04:02 PM']I swaer by Rotosound Solo Bass - they are grounwound (flattended roundwounds). 23 years and no fretboard wear on my Wal. Your exisiting strings may chew the fretboard up so I would consider a change if I were you.

Welcome to the world of iffy intonation :)[/quote]

Thanks Bilbo! Having only had the bass for a number of hours, its not like playing the upright! But enjoying every second and looking forward to getting the bass set up for my playing and getting some new strings on it etc.

Thanks also for all your advice, i think i might go for the same string gauge as my electric bass but go for a set of flatwounds, as im used to playing upright, this will feel much more comfortable.

Cheers guys

I went for Rotosound Trubass black nylon strings for my fretless. You can get quite a decent double-bass type sound out of them but you can still hear a bit of the growl that flatwounds give you too although they tend to be more double-bassey than fretless-bassey in sound. I used these on a couple of tracks in my soundcloud link in my sig (Dragging Deep, Vampires and Dopey Little Dippy) if you want to check out the sound. They currently on a 1988 Bass Collection SB320 fretless with what I think may be Bartolini pickups (the original owner replaced the SGC electronics).

I've tried...

Picato - the smoothest flatwounds I've found, and a good price, but not very bright tone

Fender - sound like you're playing a banjo when they're brand new, but they mellow down.

D'Addario half-flats - hated them - all the noise of roundwounds

Rotosound RS77LD Jazz Bass - love 'em. Now my string of choice for my Westone. I also use RS66LD Swing Bass on my Ricky - lovely!!!

It all depends on the tone you want. If you like the EXL 190's, then it is unlikely that you will like flats. Have you ever tried flats ? I agree with Blademan98 about the Thomastik/Infeld jazz flats. However, they are quite expensive ( worth it IMO ) and have a very low tension, which is not to every one's liking. My advice if you want to try flats, is to go for a cheap set first and see how it goes. They will definitely be easier on your fretboard than rounds.

I have just found these strings. They are not flatwound but pressurewound. What exactly is the difference? In the description it says they are great for fretless basses. Any ideas/ opinions on these would be much appreciated.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotosound-Solo-Bass-55-Bass-Strings-Set-SM55-40-100-/290543283245?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43a5baac2d#ht_1040wt_907"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotosound-Solo-B...d#ht_1040wt_907[/url]

Cheers

Also tried several brands:

-Fender: worst I've tried. Maybe my set was a dud, but it felt like I had strung my bass with the brake-cables from my bicycle.
-Daddario: played nice, but sounded a bit dull
-Thomastik/Infeld: best sounding to my ears. The lower tension means you have to adjust your set-up, but the play like a dream
By the way, the TI strings are only slightly more expensive (or comparable) than those form the other brands mentioned here...

Some time ago I replaced the strings on a newly bought Maruszczyk bass, which had been strung with their house brand flatwounds (which felt and sounded a bit like the Daddario's, to me at least).
By accident I cut the G string too short, so I ended up with a bass that had the EAD strings from Thomastik, and the G form Maruszyzyk.

Man, what a difference in sound (playability not that much). So much more definition, overtones and complexity with the Thomastiks.
Luckily you can order separate strings, not just a whole set.