Why become a member? ×

Session work

bilbobass88

A bit of backround might help. How major is the album, what kind of sales range is it expecting, 100's. 1000's, 10,000's, and what kind of budget do you think they're spending on it? The same goes for yourself, what's your musical training and experience?

p.s. I have no idea as to the answer, I just think those points might be helpful for those who do :)

Yep..pitch to get the job rather than anything else.
It doesn't sound like you have done much before so you may want to take into account the learning curve on his budget.

Have a chat with the engr..about decent rates and what is the norm at his studio,

I would say £150 an 8hr day is ok for a small budget for starters, but it really depends what he is pitching at.
And if the whole band pitch in at that rate..the budget could get out of hand for indie type work quick enough.
Or you may want to price for the track... bearing in mind..it is you who will probably lose out regarding the time

You really need to know more about where this is going..and what market/returns he is expecting.

You need to be flexible... and one of the reasons they have asked you...is they think you can do the job and they think the budget will work. Which is a compliment.

I think all answers above are spot on, not done this myself But My wife was asked to do backing vocals on an Album for a young British girl, by a well know producer. The Girl had already performed on Prime time TV shows a couple of times and was being tip for great things.
As a member of the MU I suggested my wife quotes the MU rate for the three day session. That way 1. You get paid for your hard work regardless. 2. If other work comes from it great, you have already set your rate and will not be taken for a ride. 3. Any acknowledgments on the tracks are a bonus 4. Chances of Royalties are slim and mega stardom is slim so get paid while you can, when you are doing it.

Lesson - Never heard of the Girl since or seen the Album

Note. This is based on knowing it was a working London studio. Not a nice guy in the Country trying to lay down his life’s work and needs a favour from a friend.

Edited by deepbass5

MU is bllx!! unless you play in the Philharmonic.

Their rates are a joke and they have no power...!!

If they did, they wouldn't allow the BBC to exploit young unknown bands the way they do.

Couldn't happen in my day. John Peel would pay the going rate if you famous or not -
[b]now they just want you to be grateful for the exposure![/b]

So where's the union??

I know this as I did some BBC radio sessions recently for some unknowns, and they had to pay me out of their own pockets - outrageous!!!!!

I talked to the executive there and he said... (read the bold type above)

I wouldn't mind if it was independent radio, but they're funded out of the public purse!

Yes...I'm angry!!! :)

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='bilbobass88' post='1346641' date='Aug 20 2011, 07:34 PM']Hi guys, got a question about session work. I've been offered some work with a guy who's recording an album in a few months. He want to know what my rates are and if I charge hourly or per song. Anyone know what I should be charging for that sort of thing?
BTW - has he got a deal? indie or major?

gives you an idea how much might be at stake!

Well, many many moons ago as a young teenage Trombonist, I happened to be involved in a Local Big band and we were picked to Represent the area. The Local BBC Radio station arranged a session to record us.
I was only one of two in the band in the union and we got paid the going session rate for all day Sunday and the rest got Diddly squat.

And I guess that’s why you did not get paid either. :) :D :lol: :)

[b]IT's NEVER TOO LATE![/b] -to join

Edited by deepbass5

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1348541' date='Aug 22 2011, 10:54 PM']Well, many many moons ago as a young teenage Trombonist, I happened to be involved in a Local Big band and we were picked to Represent the area. The Local BBC Radio station arranged a session to record us.
I was only one of two in the band in the union and we got paid the going session rate for all day Sunday and the rest got Diddly squat.

And I guess that’s why you did not get paid either. :) :D :lol: :)

[b]IT's NEVER TOO LATE![/b] -to join[/quote]
wrong!! I've been a member most of my life! Its the BBC's new policy and the MU do FA about it.
As you said, it was many moons ago!!
Check it out now!

...and I did get paid, as I said, by the band.

Edited by Shonks

in fact, in the old days, you couldn't do a session for the Beeb or any bona fide broadcaster unless you were a member of the union.
I remember the MU in London fighting with the B'ham branch over the fact Central TV booked all London session guys over B'ham based guys. When we arrived for the session the B'ham branch actually installed their own band and told us to leave till the London branch stepped in an ousted the B'ham musos.
What a fiasco!!
They dont even ask now!

I do understand where you are coming from, Two band leaders who got me into this game, eventually left the Union over similar events to the one you mentioned, and they were both Branch Sec for a time. Pressed steel Fisher at Cowley was a closed shop Union wise in the 70's got into a dispute over none union bands and fees in their club, So the Guy running it just hired bands from every other town. We all lost out locally.
Anyway I'm still in It, basically for the insurance and public liabillity contracts and legal advice. But the annual fee is too high for most casual earners, I think they should introduce a lower casual rate, may be get more members. Whether they will ever sort the three in a Bar thing I don't know.

Edited by deepbass5

+1

Ask for a nice one-off fee. £150/£175 per day is good money and is not to be sniffed at. Maybe pitch yourself at £200 a day and then prepare to get haggled down. If it's a big money project, you'll get your £200, if it's a slightly budget production, say you'll do them a favour and do it for £150. You simply can't afford to rely on sales for money. Never comes good.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1351422' date='Aug 25 2011, 03:32 PM']Ask for a nice one-off fee. £150/£175 per day is good money and is not to be sniffed at. Maybe pitch yourself at £200 a day and then prepare to get haggled down. If it's a big money project, you'll get your £200, if it's a slightly budget production, say you'll do them a favour and do it for £150. You simply can't afford to rely on sales for money. Never comes good.

Truckstop[/quote]
+1

I think it can be a good way to tell how serious someone is about the project they're hiring you for - if they've budgeted money for session musicians, you know that they aren't messing about.