Why become a member? ×

4 or 6 strings?

bassist_lewis

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1339825' date='Aug 14 2011, 05:56 PM']Not a lot pisses me off more than people who judge you for the number of strings your instrument has. I don't think any more or any less of people who play a 4, 5, 7 string or more. It's an approach to playing that gives you a different feel, or more tonal possibilities. It's only pretentious if you never use the added options, and never plan to.[/quote]

I've got to say, attitudes towards ERBs are much improved these days. I remember when Talkbass introduced a rule banning people from slagging off a bass just for being an ERB. Things are much more enlightened now, and that was only what, 5 or 6 years ago?

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1339847' date='Aug 14 2011, 06:09 PM']I've got to say, attitudes towards ERBs are much improved these days. I remember when Talkbass introduced a rule banning people from slagging off a bass just for being an ERB. Things are much more enlightened now, and that was only what, 5 or 6 years ago?[/quote]

Ironically though most studio players seem to have fallen out of love with them, and there are still plenty of producers that will cringe at the sight of 5's and 6's. I don't know necessarily whether this has more to do with a lack of understanding about the instruments or whether there is a prejudice or an assumption made about the kinds of players that use them. Either way it's always a redundant point if the player knows their stuff.

I tend to use my 4's more mainly in a traditional Rock covers band and they just seem to suit ME better when playing.
I love playing my 6 fretless at jam sessions with friends though.
Big benefit in the studio too.

Wouldn't let anyone else dictate what looks right in a band. None of their business as long as it sounds good.

Can't say i'd bother too much what bass is being used in any band i watch if it sounds good and the guy is reasonably competent musician.

With regards the 6'er you will have great fun learning it. This is more or less my first step away from 4 strings in 35 yrs and I don't know what all the fuss was about. They are great and as pointed out by "pantherair" will improve your technique into the bargain.

PS very nice Clover 6 string you're looking at.

Good luck
Dave
:)

[quote name='icastle' post='1340056' date='Aug 14 2011, 09:20 PM']Playing a 5 or 6 is far less pretentious than non bass players getting all opinionated about something they know nothing about. :)[/quote]

Haha :) this!

Also if you do find it's for you, you'll be glad you tried it out, and will have lots of fun with it!

it took guitars quite a while to "settle" at six strings - tell that your guitar guy. Besides, most
guitarists hardly use all their strings, and 7 string guitars are wicked and far too rare.

more strings are harder to keep quiet and the instrument becomes a bit heavier to carry, that's all I can see really.

how about pianos? church organs?

it is just so absurd how fixed rock people are on gear. ever noticed if a viola has four or five
strings? does anybody notice 4 or 5 strings on a double bass? anybody bothered for the brand of violins?
all crap in my opinion: the music matters thats all. as long as you play it to play it, not to wave it round,
its all good. And if people say something critical, they are just envious.

[quote name='janmaat' post='1340145' date='Aug 14 2011, 10:49 PM']it took guitars quite a while to "settle" at six strings - tell that your guitar guy. Besides, most
guitarists hardly use all their strings, and 7 string guitars are wicked and far too rare.

more strings are harder to keep quiet and the instrument becomes a bit heavier to carry, that's all I can see really.

how about pianos? church organs?

it is just so absurd how fixed rock people are on gear. ever noticed if a viola has four or five
strings? does anybody notice 4 or 5 strings on a double bass? anybody bothered for the brand of violins?
all crap in my opinion: the music matters thats all. as long as you play it to play it, not to wave it round,
its all good. And if people say something critical, they are just envious.[/quote]

interestingly I played with a fiddle player who used a 6 string violin (F C G D A E, I think), sounded really good through a mesa-boogie amp.

Those Clovers are beautiful basses :)

Do what you want. Its never a case of 'I have too many strings for the job'. I play in a metal band at the moment and I pretty much just use the B and E string but I've playing that bass non stop for 6 years so its just what I'm used too. (and it looks cool and I get no sh*t about how easy bass is becasue its only got 4 strings :)). The rythm guitarist doubles me most of the time, I don't see him taking of his unused strings.

Besides you may use that C string for one song, but it may be an important component of the song.

You will certainly start seeing your self experiment more.