Why become a member? ×

Early '90's MIJ Squier P vs MIJ Ibanez Blazer

solo4652

Folks,

I've been offered an early '90's MIJ Squier P. I've been looking for a good, cheap CIJ/MIJ P for a while now as a knockabout backup to my USA P. The alternative is a MIJ Ibanez Blazer. Any thoughts?

Steve

Edited by solo4652

If the Blazer's in good nick, it will probably be the finest P-style bass you will ever own! I picked one up for £200 a couple of years back and it soon became my number one. Even the ultra-sarcastic tech/luthier I go too was impressed (Aside from a little giveaway on the fretwork of it's budget origins). Gutsy, growly tone- a bit more balls than the usual Precision tone. Probably down to the DiMarzio pickup and heavy brass bridge.

No contest between this and the Squier IMHO.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1340698' date='Aug 15 2011, 02:21 PM']If the Blazer's in good nick, it will probably be the finest P-style bass you will ever own! I picked one up for £200 a couple of years back and it soon became my number one. Even the ultra-sarcastic tech/luthier I go too was impressed (Aside from a little giveaway on the fretwork of it's budget origins). Gutsy, growly tone- a bit more balls than the usual Precision tone. Probably down to the DiMarzio pickup and heavy brass bridge.

No contest between this and the Squier IMHO.[/quote]

Thanks for your comments. I'm definitely leaning towards the Blazer.

I've heard lots of good stuff about Blazers and MIJ Squiers are great too (I have a Jazz). But one thing you can't can do with Blazers but you can do with Fenders is upgrade them with standard Fender parts. It's one of the reason I bought an old MIJ Fender instead of a Blazer when I was loooking for a P bass.

[quote name='gjones' post='1341311' date='Aug 15 2011, 11:03 PM']I've heard lots of good stuff about Blazers and MIJ Squiers are great too (I have a Jazz). But one thing you [s]can't can[/s] don't need to do with Blazers but you [s]can[/s] have to do with Fenders is upgrade them with [s]standard[/s] non- Fender parts. It's one of the reason I bought an old MIJ Fender instead of a Blazer when I was loooking for a P bass.[/quote]

Fixed it for you :) :)

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1342671' date='Aug 17 2011, 08:00 AM']Go for the Blazer!

Set up your amp for the USA P and then plug the Blazer in!

Come back and tell us all what happened.

I know the answer already, as I have done it before but I'd be interested to hear
what you say about it.

Cheers. :)[/quote]

OK - I accept the challenge.

Steve

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1342671' date='Aug 17 2011, 08:00 AM']Go for the Blazer!

Set up your amp for the USA P and then plug the Blazer in!

Come back and tell us all what happened.

I know the answer already, as I have done it before but I'd be interested to hear
what you say about it.

Cheers. :)[/quote]

Well, I bought the CAR one. Having fettled it and done an initial setup, I plugged it into the amp and I'm very impressed, considering what I paid for it. It really isn't far behind my USA P in terms of clarity of tone. The A string's a little dull at the moment, but I'm still fiddling with neck relief, saddle height and pickup height. It'll be a few days before it all settles down. It has a lot of punch and power - probably a bit more volume and attack than my USA P, but possibly lacking a little bit of depth and subtlety to the tone. But hey - as a backup to the P, it'll be absolutely fine. It's quite nice to have a bass that you're not too concerned about catching on the ceiling or floor too.

The G side of the neck is fairly marked and the lacquer's worn off. Is there something easy I can do to smooth it a little? Wet and Dry and polish??

Steve